Ch. 14 - A Trembling Surprise

"What would you do if I disappeared? If I vanished without a trace?"

...

"..I would cry."

"Why would you cry?"

...

"You... you are very dear to me."

"That's silly! I'm not worth crying over!"

...

"I see you in a different light."

"Different how?"

...

"From how you see yourself."

"That's even stranger. How different could I be in your mind than in my own?"

...

"...Well, I can see your smile.."

"What was that?"

...

"Nothing."

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《Warning: a swear word》

Time skip a few weeks from the last chapter!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

The sound of boiling water bubbled through Urokodaki's home from an unsupervised pot.
The man who was preparing to cook a meal stood outside watching (y/n).
The ladder jumped around and twisted his body with the swing of his blade as he practiced on a training dummy.

Urokodaki watched for a few more moments before turning to head inside, almost entranced by the demon's movements.
He moved with his blade as if they were one in the same with such focus, like water dancing around river stones.

"I wish he'd let me teach him water breathing. He'd be such a perfect successor if the corps could accept him.."

Urokodaki sighed to himself in disappointment and began making his meal for the night.
(Y/n), on the other hand, stayed outside to keep an ear out for anything suspicious.

"It's too quiet. Something bad is bound to happen soon and I'm not going to let it. Almost a week of no attacks around here just doesn't sound right. Actually, it doesn't sound like anything!"

(Y/n) chuckled at his own terrible 'joke' and swung his blade down on the dummy, slicing it in two before he could stop his blade.

"Ah, shit. That's why I don't talk and train.."

(Y/n) groaned and sheathed his blade before he picked up the now broken dummy and tossed it into the wood scraps pile.
He then walked to the front door and knocked on the open door frame, leaning on it and peeking his head in.

"Hey, I'm going in to town for some things before everyone locks up for the night. Do you need anything, my calm Cornflower?"

(Y/n) asked Urokodaki who shook his head in response, plating his meal and preparing to eat.

"Just stay safe, will you? I'm not coming to save you from the kids again, my dear Gingko Leaf."

Urokodaki sighed and (y/n) chuckled.

"I know, I know. I'll be in and out, alright? I'll be back in an hour!"

(Y/n) waved and turned back outside, adjusting his katana before starting to jog down a dirt path.
He continued to follow the path until he reached a small town lit with dim street lights and lanters shining through windows.
He then closed his eyes and rushed into one of the stores, hurrying to get what he needed and going to pay.