Ch. 16 - My Precious Lotus

"Hey, (y/n)-san, am I doing this right?"

Sabito called over to (y/n) as he swung a stick over his head like a katana.
Well, at least he was trying to swing it like a katana.

"Your shoulders are too stiff and you're swinging too hastily, Sabito-kun. Try to relax and slow down but keep your stance firm. Also, you won't even start training till Urokodaki-san gets back so why are you practicing?"

(Y/n) questioned from his seat on the grass by the house.
The old man had been summoned by the leader of the corps shortly after (y/n) agreed to train the boy.

"I want to be ready when he gets back. He'll be so impressed if I can show him I know how to swing a katana!"

Sabito practically sparkled and started swinging the stick again, actually listening to (y/n)s advice and swinging it right this time.
(Y/n) hummed and leaned forward on his elbows, watching Sabito with curios eyes.
The boy was a fast learner for sure, but after about ten swings he hunched over to catch his breath.
(Y/n) got up and pulled a gourd of water out of his sleeve, walking over and handing it to the winded boy.

"You should really wait for Urokodaki-san to get back. I know a trick he could teach you that can help you get less winded and have a firmer stance."

(Y/n) smiled and patted Sabito's back as he gulped down the water.
When he finished drinking he wiped his mouth with his sleeve and looked up at (y/n) with round eyes.

"Can you teach me that trick? I want to be ready to train as soon as he gets back!"

Sabito asked and tugged on (y/n)'s sleeve when he looked hesitant.

"I shouldn't even be telling you how to swing a sword, kid. Do you know what Urokodaki-san would do to me if I started training you to use a sword? You're ment to be his student in that aspect. I'm just helping him train your speed and patience."

(Y/n) sighed and Sabito huffed.

"You're pretty boring, (y/n)-san."

(Y/n) chuckled with amusement and shook his head.

"Boring how, Sabito-kun?"

"Well, you're not teaching me anything. You don't even plan to train me till tomorrow!"

Sabito complained and crossed his arms with an annoyed expression.
(Y/n) couldn't help but laugh and Sabito gave him a confused look.

"What's so funny? I'm serious."

"I know you're serious. That's what makes it funny!"

(Y/n) said between laughs as he tried to calm himself down.
Sabito only grew more confused and slightly offended until (y/n) patted his shoulder.

"I wish I was as eager to train when I was in your shoes all those years ago. Trust me, from what I know, you'll wish you took this break when you start training! You should take today to enjoy being a kid, alright? Think of this as training your patience, hm?"

(Y/n) chuckled slightly and Sabito relaxed with a sigh.

"Fine, I'll be patient. I'm sorry I called you boring, (y/n)-san."

Sabito frowned slightly and looked down.
(Y/n) simply smiled and shook his head, scooping the boy into a hug.

"Don't worry about it, bud! I'm just glad you understand now."

(Y/n) reassured him and Sabito giggled, hugging him back.
(Y/n) then set him down and walked over to a tree, sitting against it.

Sabito picked up a larger stick and started running around, pretending to sword fight with the air and giggling.
(Y/n) watched with a warm smile and closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath to relax.
Unfortunately, that relaxation didn't last very long.