Ch. 21 - Summoned

(Y/n) sat alone in the back of his shop, musing over the flowers that filled his greenhouse.
He was filled with admiration for their intricate petals, kaleidoscopic colors, and captivating aromas that brought him such joy.
Taking out a notebook he had tucked away into his sleeve, (y/n) began to scribble down all his thoughts.

From describing the smallest details to momentarily mentioning the most obvious characteristics of each flower, (y/n) found himself lost in his thoughts.
He sat there for hours uninterrupted since that day happened to be the one day of the week he took off to restock.

However, he hadn't realized how much time had passed until the shrill caw of his magpie yanked him from his thoughts.
Looking up through the glass to see the stars, (y/n) let out a wistful sigh before looking back down to the garden.
Awe-struck, he admired how the flowers yield to the caprices of the sun and rain, proudly blooming despite adversity or resistance.

His feelings were too deep for words - all he wanted to do was simply sit there in awe until his magpie shouted again.
(Y/n) groaned in annoyance and rose from where he sat in the garden and walked to the front of his shop.
Opening the front door, he stuck his head out and glared at the bird.

"I love you, but for the love of the gods could you please be quiet? It's almost midnight and people are trying to sleep, you daft avian vertebrae."

(Y/n) whispered in an annoyed tone and grabbed the bird like a football, tucking back into the safety of his shop and closing the door.

"But I have urgent news, master (l/n)! I have orders to lead you to the Natagumo mountain! Also, that was just mean."

The bird squawked the last part in a sad tone with dramatic, and fake, tears in her eyes.
In response, (y/n) frowned and rotated the bird around as if he was looking for something wrong with her.

"Sorry, sorry. Hey, why are you talking like those stupid crows the slayers use? I don't like you calling me 'master'. It sounds way too formal. Also, who told you to tell me to go to that mountain? I don't have any connections with anything there anymore."

(Y/n) questioned and set the bird down on a wooden perch he had made for her.
The magpie in turn looked around nervously and shuffled her little talons, ruffling her wings as if she was in trouble.

"I was hanging out with some of those crows and I think the masters' crow told the master that I was there? He asked the crows to bring me there and I accidentally said your name, so he sent me to send you to the mountain... I'm really sorry, but a few of those crows followed me here so I had to tell you because they're scary!"

She whispered the last half in a panicky tone and (y/n) simply sighed and pet her gently.

"Don't worry, I'm not upset with you. I'm more annoyed with that leader. The Ubuyashiki family has been trying to pester me for years now! Usually, I just ignore the crows or tell them they have the wrong blindfolded guy, but I can't just do that with you since you're my bird. I'll just go and get this over with since he won't quit pestering me. Especially after this! I wouldn't be surprised if he just sent some slayers to get me at this point! Was there anything else to this order or does he just want me there?"

(Y/n) rambled as he prepared to travel, putting up a sign in his shop's window and grabbing his katana from its stand under the counter.

"Yes, yes! There was a reason he asked you to be there! He said that there is a person of interest that is also being sent there that he wants you to meet! He believes the two of you have more in common than meets the eye. He also said something to his wife and I couldn't help but overhear him since it concerns you!"

She chirped gleefully at her concern for her owner as the demon simply nodded along.
Waiting for him to ask what it was the master said, she watched as (y/n) grabbed his wakizashi from its stand above the front door.

"It's always good to have more than one weapon on me, I suppose. Well, what did he tell her? I'm assuming you weren't meant to hear it so it's probably something that will deter me from going."

(Y/n) questioned and held out his arm for her to land on, hiding his wakizashi in the opposing sleeve he put his katana in.
The magpie tilted her head and flew over to him, puffing out her chest defensively once she landed on his arm.

"Well, if I wasn't meant to hear it, then he shouldn't have said it loud enough for me to hear. Anyway, he said something about preparing a place for you to stay if you decide to join them, whatever that means. If they gave you a good reason, would you join the demon slayers? I don't think any of them would accept you because they're all mean, close-minded swordsmen!"

She squawked in a worried tone and tilted her head the other way, waiting for an answer.
With an uncertain glint in his eyes, (y/n) nodded and pulled his face covering down.

"Sure I would. I haven't been a 'demon' by definition in all 470 years I've been one, so I wouldn't be a traitor.. right? I mean, it would need to be a persuasive offer for me to up and leave my shop, but I suppose the right thing could make me go. I don't like the idea of joining the team that's been trying to kill me, but I made a few friends on their side! Maybe they've put in a good word for me?"

(Y/n) shrugged and walked out of his shop, locking the door behind him and leaving a "closed for extra restock" sign to explain his absence.
His magpie nodded in understanding and started to fly beside him.

"I guess that makes sense. Do you think the master would offer you the rank of hashira because of your katana skills? Would that make you join them? I've heard that the hashira get their very own estate and special weapons! Maybe they would make you a new blade and you could have a big garden again! I think-"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Mejie. If he wants to talk to me after this mission then I'll worry about what he's offering me in trade for my loyalty. First, I want to worry about whether this person is even interesting to me."

(Y/n) huffed and began to run, leaving Meije to squawk in surprise and fly after him as fast as she could.

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《~Fin.~》

1,176 words not including these!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

Hello, hello! I apologize for this chapter being a bit late, but I kind of wanted to take a break from writing for a few days! I do hope you enjoyed this chapter though, my dear reader! These next few are going to be a bit drawn out, but it will all be worth reading! With that, I'll see you next time! Have a glorious day/night!