29

"What are you doing?" Camila asked, her soft voice filling the space within my car.

"I just got off work not too long ago. I had to run home to take a shower, and now I'm running some errands."

"What type of errands?"

"Just picking up some hygiene stuff: tissue, soap, deodorant, and toothpaste," I responded.

"Sounds boring."

"It is," I laughed.

"How was work?" She asked next.

"It was good. I can't complain. I'd take home health over the hospital any day. It's more fulfilling, I work fewer hours, and I still get paid the same, if not more."

"Alright. I see you, bestie," she expressed. I just smiled as I pulled into an empty parking spot.

"Anyway, Camila." I tried to redirect the conversation as I nearly forgot the reason I called her. "I wanted to ask you about your mom. Has she tried any more sneaky shit?"

"No. Her ass has been unusually quiet ever since we rescued Sofia from her. What did you say to make her chill out?"

"Nothing really, I just told her what she needed to hear. I also gave her a helpful resource, but it's up to her if she takes my advice," I said.

"You just couldn't help yourself."

"No, I could," I corrected. "But I found no harm in trying to point her in the right direction."

"Hmm, you're better than me," she mumbled before uttering something in Spanish. And I thought she was just expressing herself until she wouldn't stop.

"You know I can't understand you," I interrupted.

"Huh?"

"You were speaking in Spanish," I told her.

"Ohhh. My fault. I just left my grandparent's house, and you know they don't speak English."

"Right," I nodded to myself.

"It takes me a minute to readjust. And sometimes I think in English, but my words come out in Spanish, or I think in Spanish, but my words come out in English."

"No, I get it. That makes sense, but what were you even saying?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to stop by the boutique today. I have a few rough sketches that need your opinion."

"I wish I could, but I'm kinda busy today," I replied.

"Doing what? It's only Wednesday. You don't see Mr. Sexy until Friday."

"Well, I'm getting my toes done at four-thirty. Then I have to rush home because my mom wants to come by my apartment. And I may or may not be going out later tonight."

"With who? Certainly not me. You got a new bestie that I don't know about?"

"If you count Mr. Sexy, then yes."

"Wow, so you're just gonna throw me in a ditch, and then leave me stranded with no cell service."

"Wow, Camila. That was oddly specific. You can't go a single day without being dramatic as hell. Rowan and I already had plans. You should have told me two days ago that you wanted me to view your new sketches."

"But I didn't have any new sketches two days ago," she whined.

"Well, I'm sorry. Can we take a rain check?"

"Yeah, it's cool. We can meet up another time," she voiced, quickly dropping the subject.

"Yes, another time for sure." We hung up not long after, and I hurried into Target.
.....