37

"I brought you something," Camila said, grabbing Amira's attention. Amira looked from Camila to the bag in her hand and then watched as Camila pulled out an assortment of candy: skittles, M&Ms, a pack of mini snickers, and some starbursts.

"Candy?" Amira mumbled, unimpressed.

"Well, yes, but..." Camila paused as she dumped out the last two items in her bag.

"Ta-da!" She smiled, lifting two boxes in the air.

"I'm not pregnant," Amira frowned, instantly shaking her head.

"You said you felt sick the other day."

"Yes, but I'm not pregnant," she repeated.

"How do you know?" Camila argued, opening the packages.

"Because the timing doesn't add up, and I know my body."

"Have you taken a test?"

"No, but I—"

"Then you don't know, Amira. What's the harm in finding out? Don't you wanna know for sure that no baby is cooking in your oven?"

Amira only shrugged in response. She knew the dates didn't add up whatsoever. Not to mention, she already had her period. But as Camila said, "what's the harm in finding out?" Crazy unexplainable shit happens all the time, and Amira needed to be sure she wasn't pregnant.

"Fine," Amira grumbled, scooting to the edge of the bed. She then took the tests from Camila and went into the bathroom.

Amira thought it was odd that she felt sick earlier this week, but she just trumped it up to her dispirited state. She hadn't felt like herself at all recently, and her gloominess had only succeeded at clouding every aspect of her life. She just couldn't seem to shake the slump she was in, and it was starting to affect her.

After waiting for the allotted time for each test, Amira placed them both on the counter for Camila to view them.

"There."

They came back negative, of course.

"Not pregnant, Camila."

"Okay, great. We can cross that off the list," Camila said, giving an encouraging smile. "But I was also thinking that maybe we could go for a walk, maybe go get some Starbucks. Or..." Camila paused as she plopped down onto the bed.

"Maybe we could go out tonight. There's this lesbian bar that I've been meaning to show you. Rachael recommended it to me."

"That's nice," Amira voiced. Her mind immediately wandered to Rachael. Camila had confessed not too long ago that she and Rachael made amends. They talked it out, and now they were officially together.

Amira was shocked at first; she had been so busy with her own life that she had failed to keep track of what her best friend was up to. The last Amira heard of Rachael, she and Camila weren't on speaking terms, so for them to have worked it out completely, Amira was proud of Camila. The few times Amira interacted with Rachael, Rachael always gave off good wholesome vibes, and Camila needed that.

"Will you go out with me? We can dance, drink, have fun, and fuck around like old times. I can even ask Rachael to meet us there so you two can catch up."

"I don't know. I don't really feel like doing anything. I'd rather just read or watch tv," Amira shrugged, reaching for some candy.

"Thanks for these," she noted, dropping her head against the pillow.

"I understand that you'd rather not do anything, but it might be good for you to get out and do something. If you're not working, you're held up in here all day, and it's depressing, Amira. Shit, fuck Rowan. He's an asshole for putting you in this state."