five - midsummers

Third person POV ~~

"I literally look hideous." Sydney said, watching her mother zip up the back of her dress through the mirror in front of her.

"You're just overreacting," Her mother reasoned, "you look absolutely beautiful."

Sydney groaned, turning around to face her mother as she moved away from Sydney, the woman fixing her hair in the mirror.

"I just don't understand why I have to go" Sydney groaned, "what's so special about midsummers anyway?"

"Honey, you know how hard your father and I worked to get to this point." The woman responded, "We're only doing this so you can live the same experiences we had while growing up."

Sydney rolled her eyes, sitting down on the circular sofa cushion in the middle of her moms closet, "Mom, there are people who's houses are literally still flooded with water on this same island and we're going to a party."

"Sydney, even if you don't want to go, this is especially important for your father." Her mother turned around to now face the girl, "besides-"

She got cut off by the appearance of her father at the door, full dressed in a suit and tie.

'Speak of the devil...' Sydney thought to herself

"Your mother is right." Fredrick said, "and it's not helping now that you and Cameron's boy aren't together anymore."

Sydney rolled her eyes, again, "It's not my fault he's a complete douche with anger problems?!" 

Did this man never think about how his own daughter felt?

Growing frustrated, Sydney got up and left the room, wanting to go outside for fresh air.

Until she realized she forgot her phone in the closet. Sighing, she turned back around, to go retrieve it. However, when she reached the closet door again, she heard hushed voices.

Deciding to listen in, she stopped right next to the door and leaned in to listen.

"She's already ruined part of the plan, what else do you want me to do?" She heard her father say

"I'm sure she had her reasons for breaking up with Rafe, but that doesn't mean any part of the plan is ruined, Fredrick." Her mother responded.

'Plan? What plan?' Sydney thought to herself

She heard footsteps approaching the door, quickly jumping away and walking towards it as if she were just coming back in.

Almost bumping into her dad, who shot her a slight glare before walking away, she muttered a quick 'sorry.'

Turning to her mother with a raised eyebrow after seeing the glare he'd given, Sharon shrugged her shoulders as a response, before turning back to the mirror and finishing any last touches.

Sydney went over and retrieved her phone, unlocking it and spotting some unread texts from Ross, Sarah, and...Pope?

She opened Ross's first, saving Pope's for last.

So, you down on the midsummers invite from a couple days ago now?

Only cause I don't want you looking like a douche that gets no hoes, I guess I'll accompany you 🙄

Yeah yeah okay Hendrix, learn how to waltz first then we can talk about being a douche, ay? 

Shut up.

Moving onto Sarah's text:

So my dad is kinda sorta forcing me to go to midsummers, please tell me you'll come 🥺