Chapter 13 - Holding On

A/N: I drew the twins a little while and go and finally remembered to add the image to a chapter for anyone who'd like to know what they look like. I used a base for the pose, but everything else was done by me.

Enjoy the chapter!

---

"We need to talk."

Soleil looks up from where she's lying on the ground, having been in the midst of doing sit-ups. Lune is standing in the doorway with a look on her face that Soleil has grown a lot more familiar with over the past few weeks. Yet the older twin doesn't move from her position on the floor.

She channels all her patience, knowing where this is heading "What is it?"

Lune sighs and sits down on the floor near Soleil, skirt fanning out around her "We need to tell them."

"Absolutely not."

"Soleil." Lune rubs the side of her head "I understand why you'd be hesitant when we just moved here. And it's not like I want to tell the whole city, but our friends deserve to know the truth. You heard Lord Death. He believes they'll understand."

"And how does that prove anything?" Soleil takes interest in the nearby wall, looking anywhere but at Lune.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe because he's the headmaster of the academy, can read souls better than any of us and is also Kid's father." Lune huffs "If anyone would know how they'd react, it's him. And yet you're still being stubborn."

"You know very well why I'm being stubborn."

"No, I don't!" Lune starts to raise her voice "Because you and maman refuse to tell me why we had to suddenly leave home! Why not in the years before then when everyone was already throwing literal rocks at us? Why then?"

Soleil doesn't respond to any of her accusations or questions. She can't blame Lune for wanting answers, but she can't give them.

"What happened when I was unconscious?" Lune hisses.

Soleil finally moves to sit up "I'm not talking about this. You know that."

"Soleil-"

"No!" She snaps back "We've been over this. I'm not recalling those memories. Not now, not ever. You know how much they hurt me."

"And it hurts me to be forced to keep secrets when I don't even know why!" Lune retorts.

"Take it up with maman or something. Bother someone else!" Soleil gets up "I'm out of here."

"Where are you going?!"

"For a walk. You should try it sometime instead of screaming like a banshee." Soleil hisses before slamming the door behind her.

Hypocrite.

~*~

Before she knows it, Soleil is walking up the steps to the DWMA. She's not entirely sure what brought her here of all places, probably the fact that she has taken this route very often. Yeah, that must be it. It's just autopilot.

She clenches and relaxes her fists multiple times on the way up, releasing some of the frustration that has been building up in her system.

"Soleil, what are you doing here? It's weekend."

Looking up to see who called her name, Soleil finds Kid leaving the building. She takes a deep breath before she casually retorts with "I could ask you the same thing."

"I was visiting my father." He explains "Now it's your turn."

"Getting some exercise with all these stairs?"