11

Word Count: 1779

~Meara

I wander downstairs, rubbing my eyes.

This manor is so vast and imposing I feel tiny in here. I could explore it for hours, but familiarising myself with this place will only make it more difficult to walk away.

Sire isn't in the dining room when I get there. I eat breakfast, silently, alone, contemplating my plan.

I don't have much of one...I don't even know where to start.

When I wander back into the main hallway, I see him approaching me. He looks solemn, although that's to be expected with him.

"There is something I want to do today," he tells me as I approach.

"I think I should go back-"

"No. You have a right to get to know me, and this may give you an insight into who I was," he says.

I stare him down. I don't think I'm going to be able to argue my way out of this one. I was hoping I could get home and talk to Hazel. She is wise, she will know what to do.

"Alright, what is it?" I sigh.

"Take my hand and let me show you."

He holds his hand out to me, not reaching for me, not forcing me. I swallow tightly, imagining all sorts of places he may take me that would not be very good.

"It better not be a sex dungeon," I grumble, sliding my hand into his.

He blinks. "A what?"

"You know what, never mind." There is not chance I'm going to stand here and explain what a sex dungeon is in case he decides he wants to create one for himself.

His shoulders seem to darken a little, his gaze casting down. "This place...I'm unsure if it still exists. I want to see."

The flicker of sadness on his face his quickly smothered by indifference, although I can sense this place he speaks of has a terrible memory attached to it. If he's showing this to me so soon, it must be important.

"And if it's not still there? I'm sure Kyro destroyed almost every trace of you," I tell him warily. I don't want him to be too hopeful.

He shakes his head. "I don't think he would have found this."

"Let's go then."

He nods, and just like that, the world falls away beneath my feet, forcing me to squeeze my eyes shut.

I wait until my feet are touching the ground until I open them again.

The sun strikes me for a moment, but when my gaze finally adjusts, I can see I'm in a meadow that sprawls out endlessly, slopes rising and falling, dotted with coloured wildflowers.

"What is this place?" I turn around in my spot. There is nothing for miles, which means I'm stuck here. It doesn't help that nothing about this place is familiar...I didn't even know this biome existing around my Pack.

Sire doesn't respond, stalking up the nearest hill.

He seems so at odds in this place. The grass is such a brilliant green, the colours of the flowers so vivid. He wears all black, and is still so tall and imposing it doesn't fit with this happy scene.

"Sire?" I call out, following him up the hill.

His eyes are trained on the ground, searching for something. At the peak of the hill he bends down, staring at an untouched space in the grass.

"It should be here," he mutters.

I frown, watching as he starts ripping at the grass, tossing chunks in all directions. I dodge them as they fly past me, confused as he brushes dirt to the side, revealing a stone plaque.