16

Word Count: 1673

~Meara

Carran leads me into the next room, watching me carefully.

I don't know what he thinks I'm going to do...free him? After everything?

Sire sits with his back against the wall, every limb chained down. The chains themselves don't look capable of withholding a powerful Alpha, but considering how still he is, it's clear there's even more powerful magic keeping him contained.

He drags his gaze to me as I wander in, before shifting to Carran.

I can feel his wrath. It's so potent I can practically taste it in the air.

"You look awfully free for a kidnapped person," he comments darkly, tilting his head to the side. I hate the way he regards me, knowing he has been betrayed.

"I want to apologise to you first," I tell him uneasily.

There isn't much I can say that is going to make him feel better. Yet, I feel as though I need to say something, to let him know this isn't something I wanted to do if I had the choice to do otherwise.

"I'm going to get out of here," he warns, attention flickering to Carran.

The Alpha shakes his head. "Not this time, Sire."

His jaw tightens as he regards us both. This horrible feeling that sits deep in my stomach isn't going to go away anytime soon, and will linger long after we put Sire back underground.

"Why are you doing this?" he asks me.

"A curse has been unleashed. It's killing my Pack members, and it's going to kill me," I tell him. There's so much more I want to say, and yet I'm not sure how I can formulate the words in a way that he will want to hear.

"So you think putting me under ground again will save them?"

He was there when we were trying to find a cure with Hazel. It is not as if we haven't been committed to it, and he knew the risks when we were discussing it. I'm more surprised that he didn't figure this is something I may have to do.

"I'm hoping so. We don't exactly have another choice," I exclaim, looking up at Carran, who nods gravelly.

When I look back at Sire, there is an entirely different kind of fury lingering in his eyes. He hates that I'm working with Carran, his enemy.

I want to tell him that Carran is the last person I want to be near, but I doubt he would believe me.

He has no reason to anymore...

I shift uncomfortably, nudging Carran with my elbow. "You should probably wait outside. I don't think he is going to say much to me with you around."

Carran blinks, considering my proposition. He has no reason to give me the space, since he has already won this war, and can be content knowing his enemy can no longer harm him and his reign. And yet, he backs away, walking from the door.

"What if you're wrong?" he asks so softly I don't even hear it.

I take a wary step toward him, although I keep a good distance back in case he does something.

"I'll wake you again," I assure him.

His eyes narrow slightly. "Will you?"

"If you're nice enough to me," I comment back. I haven't thought that far ahead, because I'm convinced this is going to work. That means Sire will remain underground until we can find another way to release him without the curse infecting this Pack again.