"...𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐡𝐮𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭."

Days went by with no problems. You woke up at 7, worked on aim with Ghost until 9, and ended your mornings with an hour of hand to hand combat with Soap. you learned your lesson the first time, never trust soap in a position of power. You and König's conversations were minimal, a simple "hello" or "how did you sleep" was exchanged in the morning. You still thought about how quick he was to comfort you. It made you feel like there was a chance for progress.

You wanted to talk again.

Price had been busy messaging and working with other operators on intel and keeping contact with this Alejandro guy. You hadn't met him yet but you heard good things, mostly from Prince himself as well as Soap. When you had a question on anything, you went to Price. It didn't matter what it was about, he made a few moments of time to assist. He was happy to help, though your new teammates said this was unlike him.

It was weird, you became so comfortable so quickly. You were always so nervous but something about such a close knit group made you feel at home. König kept staring, so did Ghost, but you got along. Everything was okay for now.

You knew what happened before you arrived, or at least you had a small briefing in the past few days, but you never got the full story. It was always about Hassan and how he was a terrorist or Graves and the shadows, but it was never linear. There were missing pieces everywhere. It bothered you in the back of your mind, but you were told everything was okay for now, you kept telling yourself that too.

However, the biggest missing piece was General Shepherd. That was a name you knew well, he was a General in the U.S. Army, and you had plenty of army soldiers come through the base. Youd overheard that he'd been off grid for a few months now, someone had stepped into his place at the pentagon, and disappeared without a trace. You now assumed 141 and the incident with Hassan had something to do with it.

A hand waved in front of your face and you snapped back to reality as Gaz looked at you worried, raising an eyebrow at you.

"Earth to Y/n, you alright mate?"

You nodded and stood up from the couch, you now realize you were just staring at the T.V. while lost in thought, who knows how long he was standing there. God, maybe you were picking up on Königs staring problem... you shudder at the thought.

"Yeah, sorry, what's up man?"

You smiled, playing off you previous dissociation

"No worries, Soap was just wondering' what yo.."

There you were, back in your head again. It was weird, you never were told about what missions 141 went on when you were admitted...

Huh.

You yawned, it was late, you were alone on the couch watching that ghost hunting show Soap always talked about, how he knew how fake it was, but you always saw him get nervous when they pulled out the spirit box. You paused the episode a little over half way and pulled your phone out, Jesus it was midnight. You didn't even notice the lights in the common room were off before now, they were on when you walked in, right?

You understood why Soap watched that show now, it was fuckin' addicting.

You stood up, shutting the T.V. off and stretched, even if it didn't feel like very long, your muscles had gone numb and your legs were asleep. Dreading that pins-and-needles sensation in your legs while they woke up, you opted to walk around the commons rather than try to stealth through the quarters and risk waking someone up, you'd rather fall where no one had the chance to find you and embarrass yourself. You walked in circles around the large room, using the flashlight from your phone to make sure you didn't run into every possible obstacle. But something caught your attention before you finished your first lap, a voice.

There were many places you hadn't explored in base, mostly because you didn't wanna get scolded or something, and the voice came from one of these unexplored places. It was an offshoot hallway, you hadn't seen anyone in there but you heard the deep voice and accent of either Ghost or the Captain, it was hard to tell from a ways away. You entered the corridor slowly as you walked on the balls of your feet, trying to stealth as much as possible. damn your legs for falling asleep, stealth is what you were trying to AVOID doing right now

You stayed close to the wall, not inching more than a foot closer to the open door. it was close to the entrance of the hall, thank god, but still, you felt like if you got any closer to the doorway whoever was inside would notice you immediately. You could now tell it was Price, you slowed your breathing to try and overhear as much as possible.

"Laswell, are you sure? Intel on Makarov is rare, especially something so detailed."

He sounded tired. How long had he been up? You heard a muffled female voice over the phone, but you couldn't make out any of the words.

"Kate, we need verification, I can't just send the boys out to the Altai Republic. That's in Asia, what the hell would Makarov be doing out there?"

You knew of Kate Laswell, not much, you knew she was C.I.A. and that she was a huge part of the incident with Hassan, but why was she trying to send 141 out to Asia? Who the fuck was this Makarov guy? Why did no one fill you in if 141 was still in an ongoing conflict?

"Yes, I trust you Kate, but we barely survived the last run-in with Makarov's men. theres a reason we brough a field medic on base, and no way in hell is he fuckin' ready."

That was you. This is why you were here. You took as quiet of a deep breath as you could and snuck away. You weren't sure if he heard you , but you were in for hell if he did.

You shut the door to your room as quietly as those thick metal doors possibly could. The whole base probably knew someone was awake, but fuck you really didn't care at the moment. You had no reason to freak out, there was no way you were getting sent on that mission, but if you were asked there was no way you could say no, right?

You walked around Königs bed to yours, sitting on the edge, staring off at the wall across from you. A part of you wanted to be sent on that mission, you hadn't been on the field in a long time and only recently picked up a firearm again, but that part about a team like this barely surviving... They'd have to rely on you. You trusted there was a reason you weren't told about all this, but now you knew. Things like this tend to have briefings, right? You were determined to go to that fucking briefing.

"Are you alright, Y/n?"

You snapped yourself out of it, looking to the source of the voice. König. You didn't even realize he was awake, shit you probably woke him up..

"Yeah, yeah I'm okay just.. Worried about my own stuff, I'm sorry if I woke you up.."

He shook his head as he sat up across from you, even like this he was taller than you.

"You have no reason to apologize, I wasn't asleep. What are you worried about, mein Freund?"

The glint of light reflecting off metal caught your eye, he had some sort of blade. Did he sleep with a knife? I mean that was fair considering the field you were both in but jesus. You paused, you can't tell him you were eavesdropping on your captain. Absolutely not. You took a moment to think before responding.

"König, what's going to happen if the teams' sent on a mission soon?"

He gave a confused hum in response, you elaborated.

"I'm not ready for the field, i think, so, if you all get sent on a mission.."

"Then I'll.. we'll Protect you the best we can. That or you'll be on overwatch, ready to deploy in an emergency. You have no reason to worry, mein Freund, I can guarantee your safety."

He sounded sure, as if he'd thought this over a thousand times. It hadn't felt like it, but these were professionals, They had been doing this much much longer than you. Even if you and König were close in age, something you now realize you only assumed, he was still prepared for something like this, this was what he did.

Something you liked about König's comforting is that he never asked why you needed it. Even with the only light source being from the moonlight from the window behind you, you could see the sincerity in his eyes.

You started to appreciate these small moments more than any conversation you could have.