𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈 ; 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐒.

CHAPTER XVIII

CHAPTER XVIII ―

THE NOMADS!

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐌𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐃 and in a millisecond, Edward was next to her, fussing over her hair and her hoodie and jacket, talking faster then she could comprehend, catching just a few words, but the one thing she caught was nomadic vampires.

"They were leaving, but they heard us." Alice informed them, relaying what she had seen in her vision as they all crowded Nora. Her stomach churned.

"Putting her hair underneath her hood isn't going to make us or them smell her any less," Rosalie snorted in distaste. "I could practically smell her across the field."

"C'mon, Rose." It was Jackson this time.

Edward was hearing Nora's thoughts clearly for just a split second, they were loud enough to let him know she was beginning to panic and it wasn't hard hearing her heart pounding in her chest and the blood in her veins rushing; she was on the verge of a panic attack. Edward grabbed Nora's hands, pulling her attention back to him. "Hey, it's gonna be alright." His attempt to reassure his mate wasn't exactly helping.

Before she could speak, Esme did. "Edward, they're coming."

Nora didn't breath as Edward stepped in front of her, shielding her just enough from these nomadic vampire's eyes. There were three of them. Two males that were opposite of each other, one that had pale skin and golden hair, the other had dark skin and she could tell he led them. The female's hair resembled fire and when she connected eyes with her, the deep red sent a shiver down her spine and her stomach churned.

This was nomadic.

This was what Edward meant.

She tried to focus on Edward being so close to her, trying to let his body swallow her whole. Nora didn't care about being her usual sardonic, prideful self... she was afraid, almost as much as when she was in the car accident with her mom and sister. Everything in her body was screaming at her to fling, feeling their ruby eyes penetrating her, Nora wasn't stupid... they knew there was a human here.

"I believe this belongs to you?" The dark skinned man had a dangerous smile on his face, she turned away when their eyes met, shoving herself deeper into Edward's side. She only lifted her head enough to see that the blonde haired man was eyeing her with a dangerous curiosity in his eyes.

The ball is thrown faster then Nora could see, but she heard Carlisle catch it before she saw it and a smile appeared on his face, "Thank you."

Nora refused to make eye contact with any of them.

"Could you use three more players?"

She felt Edward stiffen even more if that was possible, his hand around hers almost gripping impossibly tight causing Nora to hold in her slight whimper of pain when Carlisle agreed they could.

"I'm Laurent," he gestured towards himself with a smile. "This is Victoria and James."

Victoria's smile was sharp, beautiful, dangerous and eerie. It put Nora on edge as she spoke, "I have a wicked curve ball."

"I'm sure we could use that," Emmett smirked, trying to lighten the mood, but he knew the dangerous that lied here.

Carlisle had a polite smile on his face, as did his wife, Esme as they nodded their heads in acknowledgment. "Well, Laurent, would you like to bat first?" It was Carlisle this time, tossing the bat to Laurent, who caught it effortlessly. "It seems our son and daughter are leaving for some other plans for the evening, so we could use extra players."

Edward hadn't taken his eyes off James as he led Nora to his Jeep, hearing every thought passing the nomadic vampires mind. If looks could kill, James would be dead, Nora thought, barely keeping up with Edward's pace.

It happened faster then Nora could blink, her soft waves blowing in the wind as her hood slipped back by the force. "You brought a snack," James hissed, smelling the air as he turned to the human. A gasp left her lips when Edward grabbed her and spun her behind him, a feral snarl leaving his lips as he crouched down in front of her as the rest of the Cullen's surrounded them. Nora was shaking.

"The girl is with us." Carlisle stated sternly, his tone suggesting there was no room for any type of fight or argument. Esme stood next to his side with Jackson, Alice and Jasper standing there, ready to defend them. 

Nora felt like she couldn't breathe, jumping slightly when she felt Rosalie put an arm on her forearm, ready to protect her from harms way, looking to see the blonde glaring at the nomads with Emmett by her side. Edward hadn't moved from his position, as still as a statue as he glared at James, his eyes a feral black and lips pulled back with a snarl.

"I see the game is over," Laurent swallowed, putting his arms out in front of his two coven members, pushing them gently back as to tell them to back off. Neither cared. "We will go now."

It took a firm push from Laurent to get James' attention, eyeing his coven member carefully as he gestured to both of them to leave. It was only seconds before they disappeared from sight.

Edward hadn't relaxed in the slightest as he stood up, turning faster then Nora breathed out, assessing her for any wounds, even though there wasn't any physical altercations. Rosalie had let her go by now, helping Esme gather everything up.

Carlisle turned towards them, grabbing his son's shoulder to get his attention and it took everything Edward had not to snap on him. His mate was in danger and Carlisle knew instinct took over to protect them at any and all costs from anything and anyone.

"Get Nora out of here, Edward." Carlisle said firmly. "We'll follow them."

Before anyone could blink, Jackson, Alice, Carlisle and Jasper were gone, following the three nomads, leaving behind Esme, Emmett and Rosalie to pick up the fallout.

"We need to go."