It's On The House

Coffeeshop AU where the cute barista takes a liking to you — gn!reader

Warnings: none :)

Words: 0.6k

a/n: this has been a wip for months like I had the idea so long ago and I honestly didn't think I would finish it but here it is!

⁺. ༶ ⋆˙⊹. ༶ ⋆˙⊹⁺

At a brand new school, you didn't know anyone yet. You felt odd about signing up for a study group, but you didn't want to spend all your time alone in the school's library or in your dorm room. You opted to study in the cafe just a few minutes away, and that's stuck ever since.

The place was small but had a loyal number of customers who visit every day. Usually, you would come in at the same time as them, then sit down at one of the comfy brown chairs and hang out for an hour or two.

It was the very tail end of the lunch rush, so there were a few other people in the cafe, but they all looked like they were in a hurry to eat and get out of there.

You didn't want to get in anyone's way so you sat in your favourite seat there taking notes from a textbook open on your lap. You were comfortable and out of everyone's sight. Or so you thought.

On his way back from dropping off a sandwich and a coffee to a customer sitting at the farthest table from the counter, the raven-haired barista paused when he passed you.

"Hey," He said, and you looked up at him. "That's me!"

You give him a confused look. "What?"

The young man pointed to his handwritten name tag. "I'm Sirius." His finger moved in the direction of the astronomy textbook in your lap. "And that's Canis Major."

"You're pretty famous."

"Well, yeah. Brightest star in the sky and best barista in the city."

You let out a small laugh, and Sirius was so proud that he was the one to make you do that.

"Yeah, you do make a mean cup of tea." You half-joked.

"I can make another." He offers, noticing your empty cup. "Twice as good as the last."

You nod, handing him your first cup.

"Alright, don't move a muscle. I'll be right back." 

The homework you came there to do went completely ignored as you watched Sirius make your cup of tea, as well as preparing a few orders for other customers. His hair was tied back neatly, but it bobbed and swayed with the movements he made around the small kitchen.

He spoke quietly as he worked to the curly-haired barista making an espresso and you wished you could have heard what they were saying. Sirius laughed at something the other worker said. They seemed like close friends and they both looked like they really enjoyed their jobs.

It was cute, but you reminded yourself that analysing a cafe worker who spoke to you once was weird, so you returned your attention to the schoolwork around you.

When Sirius came back, he placed a cup of tea on the table, just how you take it. He sat at the chair opposite you and placed a chocolate chip cookie right next to the teacup.

"There you are; one tea, one chocolate biscuit."

You started to push the extra plate away from you. "Oh, no, I'm sorry. I didn't order this."

"I know." He said with a sweet smile. "It's on the house."

You pulled the treat back hesitantly, flattered nevertheless. "Really?"

"Yeah, of course. As long as you let me spend my break with you."

He was such a flirt, but it was working.

"Sure." You obliged him. "How long is your break?"

⁺. ༶ ⋆˙⊹. ༶ ⋆˙⊹⁺