𝓽𝔀𝓸

ᴄᴇᴄᴇʟɪᴀ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

"He is testing us. Our lord is testing us. Especially now...when we are consumed with despair. When we are asking our God why this had to happen. No parent should ever have to know the horror of burying their own child" The reverend says choking back a sob before continuing.

"And yet.. five of Bomont's brightest have lost their lives. Among them, my only son. My boy. Bobby." I bite my lip struggling to hold back the sob forming in my throat, as my father brought his arm around me to provide comfort.

"We have other children to raise here in Bomont. And one day, they will no longer be in our...embrace and in our care. They will belong to the world. A world filled with evil and temptation....and danger. But until that day, they are ours to protect. That is the lesson to be taken from this tragedy. That is our test. We cannot be missing from our children's lives."

Reverend Shaw clears his throat before sitting back in his seat. The audience turn to face Roger.

"The following measures will be read and voted on accordingly. A curfew for minors under the age of 18 will take effect immediately. Minors must be home by ten p.m. on weeknights, 11 p.m. on weekends. All in favour, say "Aye". He looks to the other members on the board.

"Aye" The board responds, I frown slightly.

"Opposed motion carries." Roger says.

"Punitive measures will be taken against any individual, group or property owner who organizes a public gathering where minors engage in inappropriate activities."

"Such activities include the consumption of alcohol or unlawful drugs, listening to vulgar or demeaning amplified music, or participating in lewd or lascivious dancing."

I shake my head ever so slightly. How could they stop us from dancing?

"All in favour, say "Aye."

"Aye." The board responds.

They are going to stop me from doing what I love? How is this best in our interests?

"Motion carried."

"There will be no public displays of dancing unless supervised as a part of a school, civic or church-related function. Outside of these authorized institutions, public dancing among Bomont's minors will be in violation of the law."

My heart shatters as I process the words.

"All in favour, say "Aye."

"Aye" The reverend stays silent. Roger looks to him for an answer.

"Reverend?" he questions "Your vote please."

I follow the eyes of the Reverend as they land on his daughter, Bobby's little sister Ariel.

"Aye." He replies as I shift my gaze back to Shaw.

"Opposed. Motion carried."

I shook my head in animosity. I could never dance freely in this town, all because of my brother and his friends dumb decisions.

It wasn't fair.

𝘛𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳...

ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

The big blue greyhound bus hauled to a stop. Out stepped a young Ren McCormack. He walked along the side of the road, sunglasses perched on his nose, taking in the town around him. He continued down the road as he spotted his little cousins sitting in a dark blue convertible.