𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓮

ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

Rusty, Cecelia, Ren, and Willard emerge from the yellow bug. Heading towards the entry of the large building before them. "Let's get some city life in you." Ren says, looking towards the girls.

Cecelia and Rusty stop talking as they enter the building. The sounds of country music and boots hitting the dance floor could be heard.

"Good night, this place is gigantic!" Rusty says as she takes in the flashing lights and smell of alcohol. Cecelia chuckles at her comment.

"Yeah. It's bigger than Bomont."

Cecelia and Rusty drag the boys towards the dance floor before Willard stops. "Hey, I'm going to go get something to drink. You get out there and shake it." Willard says as Rusty attempts to get him on the dance floor.

Cecelia and Ren exchange glances. Cecelia is suddenly distracted by the music and dancing as Ren makes his way over to Willard and Rusty.

"Hey. Just go dance with Cel." Ren watches as Rusty and Cecelia link arms, making their way onto the dance floor.

"What's the matter with you, huh? We drove two hours to get here. You're just going to stand around and mope?" Ren questions. "I don't dance. Alright? I don't dance." Willard reasoned, looking towards Cecelia and Rusty dancing, before leaning in closer.

"I can't dance. At all." Willard states. Ren looks at him dumbfounded. "But it's country line dancing. It's a white man's wet dream." Ren states that he is shrugging his shoulders.

Ren's attention is shifted to a lady teaching beginner moves. Ren taps Willard's shoulder before making his way towards the woman. "Excuse me, miss." The lady spins around with a smile.

"You need to learn some new moves." She questions the pair. Willard looks back and forth between Ren and the lady before speaking.

"Shit-howdy! You drop me at day-care while you go dance with them girls!" Willard states, glaring at Ren. "Just learn a box step or two and meet us out there. I got faith in you," Ren reasons before patting Willard's chest and making his way over to the dance floor.

⚜   ⚜   ⚜

Cecelia and Rusty continue dancing with the other people spread out on the dance floor. Both girls were laughing with anticipation for the next song. Cecelia had barely gotten started on her dancing and was just messing around.

"Come on, Cel. I know you can do better than that." Rusty whines. Cecelia smiles slightly. She goes to say something before being cut off by the sound of fake ID.

"Do you hear that?" Cecelia questions. "Omg. Its fake Id!" Rusty squeals before joining everyone else on the dance floor.

Cecelia taps her red cowboy boots on the dance floor as she begins to dance. She feels free. No one telling her she can't dance. Ren falls into line between the girls watching as Cecelia dances.

Cecelia meets gaze with Ren as she smiles, still dancing and spinning to the music. Ren smiles at the woman. She was an amazing dancer. Rusty leaves the line to find Willard on the side.

"You're a really good dancer Cecelia." Ren compliments. Cecelia smiles before returning the gesture. "So are you city boy." Ren smiles even wider moving closer to the woman.

Rusty returns to the pair wearing Willard's hat. Cecelia gives her a questionable look before linking arms with her and spinning. Ren spins Rusty before dipping her down, earning a laugh from both Cecelia and Willard.

Cecelia and Ren continue dancing with each other, smiles on their faces as Rusty makes her way over to another man, swaying with him. Willard looks at the two with a glare. Cecelia continues dancing freely whipping her hair around and moving her hips.

Ren and Cecelia meet in the middle of the dance floor, swaying with each other, their arms all over one another. Willard downs his beer before storming onto the dance floor towards Rusty and her new friend.

"Hey shitkicker that's my girl your groping!" He exclaims. Rusty stops dancing to look towards the man. "Willard we're just dancing."

"And what are you dancing with another man when you're wearing my hat?" Willard questions Rusty as the random man watches the pair. "Ok that is disrespectful." Willard adds.

"Look nelly, why don't go babysit this girls purse and fetch me a beer." The random man butts in. Willard glares at the man. "I've got a better idea. Why don't it kick your teeth in and grin while doing it?" Willard suggest angrily.

"Willard no fighting. You don't even know this guy." Rusty tries to reason as the two men get closer. "I'll tell you what if this man can count this high I'll give you to the count of three to get out of my face man! One!" Willard says before getting cut off by the man's fist connecting with his jaw.

"Come on darling. Party with a real man, ditch this hayseed." The random man states moving rusty towards the edge of the dance floor. Rusty grabs a beer bottle from a table and smashes it over his head before yelling. "Animal!"

Ren lifts up Cecelia into his arms as they both let out a laugh. Cecelia places a kiss to his lips before returning her feet to the floor.

⚜  ⚜  ⚜

"It just happened so fast..." Willard explains as they all sit in the car. "Well, you got knocked out." Ren states earning a laugh from the man.

"I just remember politely asking him, 'Hey,'" he said. Get off my girl." Willard says as Rusty lays her head on his shoulder. Cecelia's smile faded as she realised the location.

"This bridge gives me the creeps." Willard states earning a scolding from Rusty. "What?" Ren questions, focusing on the road.

"This is Crosby bridge. You know that photo in school? The one with all the teenagers that all got killed. This is where it happened." Cecelia explains, thinking back to that dreadful night.

"My brother's friend was driving them home. They lost control and they went head on into a truck." Cecelia elaborates, feeling her eyes water slightly. "They were seniors. Two of them were all-state. Bobby Moore.." Willard says before getting cut occ by Cecelia.

"And my brother, Ronnie. You would have liked him. I looked up to him. He was my hero." Cecelia says looking into Ren's eyes with a ghost of a smile.

"But now every time I think about him, I just think about this damn bridge." Cecelia adds looking down to her clasped hands. Ren studies the woman's face before looking back towards the road. He knew she was strong. He admired her resilience and the way she held herself together despite the difficult circumstances. Ren couldn't help but feel a sense of respect towards her.