𝓮𝓵𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷

ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

Cecelia knelt beside Ariel holding her battered face. "That son of a bitch." Cecelia says earning a chuckle from Ariel. "Careful, this is god's house." Ariel reminded the girl.

Vi smiled as she saw the girl's interaction. The church was filled with the sound of running. Cecelia searched the doors for Reverend Moore. Cecelia made brief eye contact with the man before moving besides Ariel, a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

Ariel looked towards her father revealing her black eye and split lip. "That on of a bitch." He murmurs still staring towards Ariel. "Careful daddy you're in church." Ariel says humourlessly.

"Look at me. Look at me. Did Ren McCormack do this to you?" He questions glancing towards a nervous Cecelia. "Answer me." Reverend Moore sternly says earning an eye roll from Ariel.

"We don't even know what happened." Vi says in an attempt to calm the situation down. "Our daughter has been assaulted Vi. I'm calling the police I want him in handcuffs." Reverend Moore says looking towards Cecelia.

"You too." He adds before making his way towards the aisle. "Cecelia did nothing but help me, so don't you dare threaten her. I can see how this works for you. Blame everything on Ren like you blamed everything on Bobby." Ariel says.

"What?" Reverend Moore says turning around. Cecelia starts to feel uncomfortable looking towards the growing argument. "Bobby spent his whole life trying to make you proud. He made good grades. He went to church every Sunday, and God help him because he made one mistake?" Ariel says taking a stand.

"Now nobody remembers the good things about Bobby, all they remember is that damn accident!" Ariel exclaims, Cecelia looks towards the floor. "Why don't we have a school dance? Because of Bobby!"

"Why do we have this stupid curfew? Because of Bobby! Bobby's to blame for all this bullshit!" Ariel exclaims looking towards her mother and Cecelia.

"Lower your voice and talk in a civil tone." Reverend Shaw instructs. "Why? Isn't this my church. Isn't it?" Ariel says looking towards her mother. Cecelia is frozen on the spot.

"Isn't this where we are supposed to talk about our problems?" Ariel questions. "Its been three damn years so why don't we start talking? I have been so lost. I've been losing my mind. And you don't even see it. You don't even care." Ariel says holding back tears.

"Of course, I care. Of course, we care. We don't expect you to understand everything we do that's intended to keep you safe." Reverend Shaw says before receiving a shove from Ariel.

"Stop it! I hate it when you treat me like I'm a child." Ariel says distancing herself. Cecelia starts to move towards the door in an attempt to escape. "Well, whether you like it or not you are my child!" Reverend Shaw says.

"I'm not even a virgin!" Ariel exclaims, Cecelia's eyes widen. "Please....please don't talk like that in here." Reverend Shaw says looking towards the floor. "What are you going to pass another law? Because that sure as hell didn't keep him out of my panties!" Ariel says getting in her father's face.

Reverend Shaw hits her across the face earning a gasp from both Cecelia and Vi. "Shaw!" Vi yells. Ariel looks towards him holding her already battered face. "Well, lets go get that guy who blackened my eye because we don't hit girls in Bomont do we Daddy?" Ariel says making her way towards Cecelia standing by the exit.

"Get in my car, ill be there in a second." Cecelia says looking towards Ariel's cloudy eyes. "Ariel please. I didn't mean to" Reverend Shaw says. "You stay here. You've done enough." Vi says pointing towards him keeping him back. Cecelia looms towards the couple.