𝓽𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮

ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

"I wasn't here three years ago, when tragedy struck this town. And I know its not my place to mourn the lives that were lost because I didn't know them. But it doesn't mean that I don't think about them every day." Cecelia felt a painful pang in her heart, she believed Her brother would have liked Ren.

"Like a lot of students at Bomont, I see those pictures every day at school. And each time I see their faces, I think of how precious life is. And how quickly it can be taken from us. I know this firsthand....in my own way." Ren continued; Cecelia knew what he was referring to. She felt for him.

"And three years ago, nearly a dozen laws were introduced to this council in order to protect the children here in Bomont. And most of these laws, I can see, as a parent, how they make sense to you. But my right to dance...when I want, where I want, and how I want, is a right that you cannot take away. It is mine." Ren reasoned.

Willard nudged Cecelia with his shoulder, they shared a smile, he had really thought this through. "See we don't have that much time left, all us teenagers, pretty soon, we're gonna be just like you. We're gonna have jobs, and bills, and families. And we're gonna have to worry about our own children, because that is the job of a parent. To worry."

"I get that. But ours, as teenagers, is to live. To play our music way too loud and to act like idiots. And to make mistakes. Aren't we told in Psalm 149, 'Praise the lord. Sing unto the lord a new song and let them praise his name in the dance.' Now if anybody else brought their bible like I did, will you please turn it to the book of Samuel, 6:14." Ren requested.

Cecelia looked back behind her, catching her father's gaze. He had noticed her pearly white bible cover in Ren's hands. She turned back around in attempt to shake off his gaze. "'David. David... danced before the lord with all his might, leaping and dancing before the Lord. Celebrating his love of God and celebrating his love of life.' With what? With dancing." Ren continued earning a proud smile from Cecelia.

"That's all we're doing here. Ecclesiastes assures us, 'there is a time for each purpose under heaven. There's a time to weep, there's time to mourn, and there is a time to dance.'' Ren states catching Cecelia's gaze sending her a slight smile.

"And this is our time. There was once a time for that law, but not anymore. Thank you." Ren concludes leaving the council members in thought. Cecelia was proud of the boy, he stood up to them with a little bit of help.

⚜         ⚜         ⚜

Cecelia and her father sat in the church's back row. She was aware of the dance's plans and Ren's visit to Reverend Shaw in the church the night before, hoping that it would change his mind in some manner and allow the dance to go forwards.

"I'm standing before you today, with a troubled heart. I've insisted on taking responsibility for your lives. But I'm really.. just like a first-time parent. Who makes mistakes and learns as he goes along." Cecelia dropped her head looking towards the ground below her feet.

"And like that parent, I find myself at that moment where I have to decide, do I hold on, or do I trust you to yourselves?" Reverend Shaw continues. Ren looks back towards Cecelia. "Do I let go, and hope that you've understood my lessons?" Reverend Shaw questions looking towards his daughter with a sombre expression.

"If we don't start trusting our children, how will they ever become trustworthy. I'm told that the senior class at Bomont High School has secured the use of a warehouse in nearby Bayson for a senior dance."