𝓽𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮

ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

"Progress. What does progress mean to you?" Reverend Shaw began.

"Off we go.." Cecelia grumbled to herself. She felt the nudge from her friend Rusty. She sat on the edge of the church bench next to the girls.

"We have computers in our pockets, telephones in our automobiles, and money on a plastic card. Who here today remembers a time where you had to go inside the bank to get your money? Remember old Mr Rucker down at Bomont State Bank? Every time you made a deposit, he'd give you a piece of bazooka chewing gum." Some older members of the audience began to chuckle glancing at each other.

"Now I haven't yet seen an ATM machine that would give me a piece of Bazooka chewing gum, let alone make me feel special, like Mr. Rucker did."

Chloe could see the girls glancing at the row beside them, but she was more focused on what the Reverend had to say during the sermon.

Ren glanced over when he felt the curious eyes of the girls on him. He saw the girls giggling at him. He looked to Cecelia who was more focused in the sermon, paying no attention to anything else around her. He smirked to himself and turned his focus back to the service.

"Now is that progress? Today more and more, as families, we are tuning each other out. We're either surfing on the internet, texting on our cell phones, or staring mindlessly at a television set. Now, if that is a portal to the world, I want no part of it. These are the people that we need to tune in to. Everyone in this church." The reverend finished.

As people streamed out of the church Reverend Shaw stood outside saying goodbye. Wesley approached him with Ren by his side.

"Nice preaching today Reverend" Wes complimented as he shook Shaw's hand.

"Wes, good to see you." Shaw replied.

"Yes, sir, you too." He turns and motions to Ren. "This is my sister's son, the one I was telling you about. Ren McCormack."

"Ren, welcome to Bomont." He says with a wide, charming smile on his face.

"How you doing?" Ren replies, the Boston accent apparent as he spoke.

"We are so happy to have you with us." They grin at the boy. "I think you're gonna like Bomont High School. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the graduating class this year is the biggest in the school's history." Shaw shifts to summon Roger over. "Hey Rodger, come on over here!" Roger smiles as he made his way over.

"How many seniors we have at Bomont High this year?"

Roger pauses for a second "About 220. Give or take a dropout." Shaw looks back to Ren and continues. "Roger's the school principal" Shaw smiles at Roger. "Wait... Do you play football? Cause we really need a kicker."

Wes looks towards Ren as they show a knowing look. "Look Ren, if you're gonna play for us, you gonna have to stay clean, keep out of trouble. I heard you already had a little run-in with the law."

Ren looks towards the ground as his uncle's eyes widen. "You what?" Wes blurts.

"I don't know how it is up in Boston, but down here we have rules against playing music too loud." Roger says.

Wes narrows his eyes. "You're kidding me. He got popped for playing music?"

⚜  ⚜  ⚜

After a short while Vi drags Ren away so he can meet some of the other seniors.

"Ariel!, Cecelia!" She turns towards Ren before grabbing his arm lightly. "I want you to meet my daughter and one of her friends, they both go to Bomont. You're gonna need friends on your first day. She and Cecelia are good friends."

"Ariel, this is Ren McCormack. He'll be attending school with you tomorrow."

"Hey" Ren says. She glances at Cecelia then back at Ren.

"Hey." She spots her father behind them. "Hey, Dad?"

Shaw walks up to them "Yes, honey?"

"Rusty and I have that science project due tomorrow; we're going to be working on it pretty late. I was thinking I'd just stay over. Is that ok?" Cecelia quirks a brow.

"On a school night? Is that necessary?" Shaw asks.

She turns to Rusty "Rusty! Don't you think it's gonna take us all night?"

"Sure. At least." She says innocently.

"I guess it's fine, right..." Shaw says. Ariel grins and kisses his cheek before hugging her mother.

"Thanks, Daddy. Bye. Mum." Ariel starts to walk off with Rusty, but she stops and turns to face Cecelia. "You should come along Cel, we could make it fun" Ariel says before catching up to Rusty.

Vi and Shaw nod at Cecelia and Ren before walking away. She turns before knocking his leg. She raises her head, her blue eyes meeting with his dark brown ones. She mumbles a sorry before making her way back to her truck.

"Hey, wait up, I still have to introduce myself" Ren says, capturing her attention.

"You don't seem like you have much country in you, you're from the city right?" Cecelia asks, gently moving her blonde waves out of her face. "Yeah, your right. I'm from Boston actually."

Cecelia's phone rings. Interrupting the conversation. "Sorry I have to take this it's my dad."

Ren nods. "Hey dad what's up?"

"I'm on my way home, I was thinking we could go to the diner for dinner" He suggests.

"Yeah dad sounds good I will head home now then." Cecelia replies.

"Alrighty, I will see you at home, bye sweetheart" Her dad responds before hanging up.

"I actually have to get home, but it was nice meeting you Ren." Cecelia says before making her way over to her truck.

Ren smiles at the girl. He still hadn't got her name.