sunrise {chapter six}

i woke up the next morning, early and still in Daryl's strong arms. i moved slightly trying to get out of his tight, protective grip without waking him. I heard him grunt as he opened his eyes. sending him a small smile I went to get up once more, only to be pulled back into his bed. "stay awhile." he said sleepily. I laughed to myself at his words and his gruff morning voice, relaxing into his touch once more. after about ten minutes of laying there in comfortable silence, I could see the light start to come through the tent. I stood up pulling my boots on and reaching for my jacket. "I'm going to watch the sunrise, you coming?" I asked turning back to a now sitting-up Daryl. "mmh" he replied getting ready to go outside. I looked into his icy blue eyes, getting lost in them. "ye' gonna star at me or we going?" he said with a light smirk forming on his face. I snapped out of my trance quickly turning away from him and grabbing my katana. "yeah." I replied bluntly.

Me and Daryl shortly stepped out of his tent, making sure not to wake anyone. we walked towards the field to go sit on the grass. I looked at the barb-wired fence that stood in front of me wondering how to get over. last time I fell and cut my leg open, leaving a good 5-inch scar on my calf. "ya I'm not doing that, I will watch from here" I said gesturing to the fence. Daryl let out a small chuckle "ye' tellin' me, you, the badass loner can't get over a fence?" he said laughing. i sighed and pulled up my pant leg reviling the scar on my calf. "yes, that's correct. not looking for another ugly scar." I said blankly, turning away from him. "hey" he said grabbing my shoulders and turning me to him. "it's not ugly. none of your scars are ugly." He said sternly. I avoided his eyes, not wanting to get lost in them, again.

I sighed as i pulled my pant leg down. "ill help ya'." he said as he put his hands on my hips. before I could react he lifted me over the fence gently setting me down. he hopped over and started walking further into the grassy field. "thanks" I mumbled as I followed him. we both sat our selves down beside each other in the tall grass. looking at the orange, yellow, pink, and red sky that blends together perfectly. it looked so peaceful that I almost forgot that the world was full of flesh-eating monsters, I sighed at the thought of the world going to shit. I started to relax leaning back on my hands for support, Daryl doing the same. as we both watch the sky fill with more bright colors I soon felt Daryl's hand find its way to mine. interwinding are fingers. I flinched at his touch but soon relaxed once more. I leaned my head on his shoulder and fell backward onto my back. locking my fingers with Daryl as he leaned to his back too.

the sky soon faded its color disappearing as the sun shown brightly in the sky heating the earth's ground, and the air up as me and Daryl stood up and walked back to camp. he helped me over the fence once more and we arrived at camp looking around to see rick, carl, maggie, gleen, and dale all coming from the tents and the camper. soon everyone was out sitting around the fire as rick lit it so carol could start cooking. Me and Daryl stood leaning against a tree looking at the group all laughing and chatting. "ye' gonna eat this time?" Daryl questioned. "no, I'm not taking your group's food. ill find my own." I said back sighing as a slid to the ground. "ours, its yur' group too ye' know. you do more than anyone." he said as he sat next to me. I shook my head lightly and leaned against him. "please, there's enough food for ya' to eat, kay." he said as his hand met with mine, which was on my lap fiddling anxiously with my fingernail. I sighed in defeat as I shook my head agreeing to eat.

after the eggs were cooked I grabbed some for myself and returned to Daryl taking his hand once more. it was like our hands blended perfectly together. I leaned my head on his shoulder feeling safe, comfortable, and relaxed at the thought of Daryl. "ye' actually gotta eat them, kay. not just dish up." he said reminding me of my food. I started to eat my eggs and then turned to look up at Daryl who was staring off into the distance. "what are you thinking about?" I asked, his beautiful blue eyes snapped to mine, locking then with each others. "ma' bruther" he said sadly, with a big sigh. I hummed in understanding as I thought of what to say, I knew he didn't like pity. "I wish I could have met him," I said back to him looking down at our intertwined fingers. "Nah, he was an ass. no, IS an ass," he said with a sad chuckle. I nodded as I rubbed small circles on the back of his hand with my thumb. "when was the last time you ate Daryl?" I said knowing he hadn't eaten for a good four days at least, he always put the group before himself.

"not too long ago" though I knew it was a lie. I sighed and put my plate on his lap. "eat." I said in a serious tone. "Nah, it's alright. I ain't hungry," he said trying to hand it back to me. but I denied it, "your gonna eat the rest, Daryl." I said back and shoved it towards him. "c'mon, just eat the damned food." he said still not angry. "Daryl, I need to know you eating," I replied quickly squeezing his rough hand. he sighed in defeat knowing I wouldn't back down. after he was down eating a realized his hand and stood up but he pulled me back down. "ill do it" he said as he grabbed the plate, walking away to bring it to carol. "I was going to help wash dishes," I said as I stood up and followed him. he grunted in response.

after everyone had returned their dishes, me and carol started to wash them. "so..." she started. "saw you and Daryl holding hands." she said putting a dish into the drying rack. I blushed at the mention of Daryl and me. "you guys got something going on?" she questioned curiously. "I uhh- no, not yet. I mean I really don't know." she laughed at my response. "He's a confusing guy, but I saw how he looks at you and how you look at him." she said with a giggle. "i mean he was about ready to kill Shane when he tried to flirt with you." she said still washing dishes. "That's what Shane calls flirting?" I said with a disused face, I hate Shane.
"Yes, but Daryl he must be a good flirt to be holding hands with you." She said nudging me.
"I uhh- how's things with your little one going?" I said changing the topic.

after me and carol finished up I walked to the truck the Rick, Daryl, Shane, and Andrea stood around. I stood beside Daryl as he pulled out a cig. he turned down to me with his icy eyes, before finding my hand and gently grabbing it. he locked our hands together and listening to their scouting plan for food.  "The nearby town had been looted fully, as far as food and medicine we needed to go further." Rick said as he pointed to a spot on the map "here, it's the next town over from here. About 200 km. It's a long drive but it's are best option." He finished.