CHAPTER 3

"Because you never tell me about her!" I cried "I don't even know how she was. You don't tell me!"

"Why the hell would I tell you?" My father screamed "You killed her, John. You're a fucking murderer since day one"

"That's not true" I sobbed, shaking my head.

"Robert, stop this, he's a child!" Angela intervened. I realized she was close to crying too "He's just five"

"Shut up!" He yelled at her "Shut the fuck up! You're a housemaid! Who the hell do you think you are?!"

His loud voice made me cry even harder. I closed my eyes and put my hands above my ears.

"I'm not here. I'm not here. I'm not here. I'm not here" I kept repeating to myself  "I'm not here"

I opened my eyes before the alarm even rang.

Today was Saturday and I had nothing planned, as always. I managed to stay in my room all day, pretending to be asleep when Mallory tried to invite me to eat with them. The sun was already setting when I tried to sneak to the kitchen because my stomach wasn't bearing to be empty anymore, but I stopped in my tracks when I heard Mallory and Alvarez' voices coming from the living room.

"We can't suggest him therapy" Mallory said "We barely know him"

"I know that" Alvarez replied "But I'm worried. He barely eats, he's been here for almost two months and he hasn't had a proper conversation with us since he arrived, he stays all his time in his room, and a friend was never seen or mentioned" He listed all the reasons why I was being a burden. I didn't understand. I managed to stay away from my father by doing these things. At least the most I could.

"I know" She sighed "I'm also worried. But he won't take it well if we just showed up in his room and said 'hey, I think you need a therapist'"

I took a step down so I could try to see them, and I closed my eyes and hissed when the step cracked under my weight.

"Dani, is that you?" Mallory asked.

"No" I murmured, deciding to show myself already.

"Jack" Mallory's smile was the type we give when we're caught saying something we shouldn't and are trying to get rid of the embarrassment we're feeling "Alvarez and I were just talking-"

"I know what you're talking" I interrupted her, making her smile fall.

"Why don't you sit here with us for a moment?" She gestured towards the armchair close to them.

"I was just about to get up to my room-"

"Jack" She was the one to interrupt me now "Please, sit" Despite her light smile and gentle tone, it sounded like she was giving me an order.

I wanted to yell at them. What, exactly, I didn't know. So instead, I sat where she told me to. Alvarez and Mallory simply looked at me for a few moments before speaking, and that few seconds were enough for me to dig my nails in my seat.

"I don't want to pretend you haven't heard us" Mallory was the first one to speak, as she usually was.

"I don't need a therapist" I was quick to say. No therapist could undo the damage my life had gone through.

"I understand" She told me calmly "Maybe we could help each other out if you just shared a bit about yourself"

"Yeah" Alvarez agreed "For example, what did you like to do back at home?"

My eyes cheated on me as I looked over to the piano. It was only for a split of a second. Only for a moment of weakness. But Alvarez and Mallory followed my gaze and when they looked back at me, Mallory had a big grin on her face.