CHAPTER 12

I thought it would be hard to face Jeovanni the next day.

I had showed him my wounds, both literally and figuratively. I was embarrassed about even looking in his eyes. I promised him I wouldn't be hostile, and I wouldn't. I didn't want to nor feel the need to. At least not for now.

But that didn't mean I could act normal around him. Whatever normal meant. I used to act mad at him all the time and be rude – it was actually surprising how Jeovanni stuck around –, but my way of behaving around him didn't seem like it fitted anymore. So I didn't know what to do. How to be. Or who to be. Maybe that meant I was about to be fully myself for the first time. And I could figure out what that meant.

Things went easier than I thought they would, though. That's because Jeovanni treated me as if he hadn't found out how fucked up my head truly was. He treated me as if I hadn't broken down in front of him the day before. It was the best thing he could have ever done for me. He knew it. But he didn't hold it against me. He didn't remind me of it. And I was grateful for that.

"I wish I could have a Buckbeak in real life" He told me as I read in the library, referring to one of the magic creatures of the book.

"Where would you even keep it?" I questioned him with a small laugh.

"In Mark's room, of course" He replied as if it was the most obvious thing ever "Buckbeak would be nicer"

"In that case, I could really use one to replace Dani" I muttered, flipping the page.

"I thought you two got along with each other now" He said.

"We do" I agreed "But she's been bugging me about coming to this kid named Oliver's party"

"And why would that be so bad?"

"I hate high school parties" I snorted "They're senseless"

"That's why they're fun" He argued "I used to love high school parties"

"Why don't you go, then?"

"I wasn't invited"

"Who cares?" I scoffed "I doubt there will be someone there checking a guest list"

Jeovanni just shrugged. I eyed him for a while. I felt like I owed him after what I had done. I felt like I wanted to make him happy.

"Do you wanna come to that party with me?" I asked him.

"You hate it" He pointed out.

"I have bad memories when it comes to high school parties-"

"Then we're not going" He interrupted me.

"Will you let me finish?" I glared at him. He shut up "But I guess it won't be that bad" It would, but again, I wasn't doing that for me.

"Jack" He called my name with a serious tone "Look at me"

"I am looking at you, dumbass" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"It's just something I say so the person pays real attention" He explained, making me roll my eyes "Do you want to go to that party? Because if you don't, I don't see the point of us going"

The point is you, stupid.

"Yes, I want to go" I lied.

He narrowed his eyes at me, as if he was analyzing if I was telling him the truth or not. I scowled in response.

"Fine" He gave in "We're leaving if you want to go home"

"Fine"

Oh the things I did to redeem myself.