CHAPTER 4

"Hey, you're good at chemistry, right?" Danielle abruptly opened the room door and asked me with something close to an eye roll.

"No" I lied.

"You're lying" She stated, going over to where I was and sitting on the end of the bed "We're in the same class. I despise you, but I need your help"

"Was that supposed to convince me?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I let you come to one of my friends' hangouts if you help me"

"And was that supposed to convince me?"

"What the hell do you want, then?" Now there was an eye roll.

"Not-"

"Are you reading Harry Potter?" She interrupted me and took the book from my hands "Did you steal from my collection?!"

"No" I ripped the book out of her grasp "I took it from the library" I immediately cringed when I realized I had said the most nerdy thing I could have ever said. A part of me was expecting Danielle to laugh and insult me. Something close to what I'd have done back at my town. But she simply ignored it. As if I had said the most normal thing in the world.

"Hermione is the best out of the three of them" She said "But the three of them really complete each other, right?" She looked up from the book to me, and even though she was speaking to me the whole time, she seemed to realize only then that I was there the entire time "Whatever, are you going to accept coming to my friends' hangout or not?"

I opened my mouth to reply I wasn't when she interrupted me.

"We both know you want to go, you're just saying no because of your pride" Danielle rolled her eyes.

I hated the fact that I stayed quiet, that I didn't tell her otherwise, that I didn't tell her to get out of the room. I hated the fact that I proved her right.

"Anyway, I'm completely lost at stoichiometry" She opened her notebook and started to show me her failed attempts of doing the exercises. And when I noticed, I was teaching her how to calculate moles.

***

"You nervous?" Danielle asked me with a teasing smirk as we waited outside Jeovanni's house.

"No"

"Liar" Her smiled widened "Don't worry, they don't bite"

"I'm not worried"

It was a lie, but it shouldn't be. What exactly would I be worried about? That they wouldn't like me? Why would I care about that? Their opinion wouldn't change anything in my life. I had never had anyone. Why suddenly would I need them? For some reason, those wonders made me feel angry at those people I had never even seen.

The door swung open and on the other side there was a white guy with brown eyes, straight brown hair, freckles all over his face, and a big smile that made his right eye smaller than the left one. Danielle immediately wrapped her arms around him and they shared a soft kiss; one that made me look away in embarrassment.

"Hey man, what's up?" He high fived me as if we were good old friends, making me furrow my brows "I've being telling Dani to bring you here there's a while. I'm Mark, her boyfriend"

So that was Jeovanni's brother. Although they both shared brown eyes and brown hair, and both of them had freckles on their faces, they didn't look alike.

"I'm Jack" I said.

"I thought his name was John" Mark turned to Danielle with a confused expression. My hands closed in fists at the name.