CHAPTER 14

I shouldn't be here.

When Danielle invited me to spend the Sunday in Mark's house along with her friends, I didn't expect to accept so quickly. It was unreasonable for me to go to Jeovanni's house after what had happened between us. I was embarrassed about even looking at him after I had practically humiliated him in front of everyone. After I had rejected him in the worst way possible. And after I regretted it the soon as I did.

Yet, that was probably the reason why I was here. I was embarrassed about seeing him, but I wanted to see him. I wanted to talk to him. I wanted... God, I wanted him. So, yes, I shouldn't be here. But I couldn't not be here.

"So, Jack, do you think you're liking our school so far?" Mika asked me as he leaned over the center table to grab another slice of pizza.

"It's his school now too, dumbass" Nia rolled her eyes.

"I guess" I shrugged "I honestly thought you were all going to be fascinated about God to the point Catholicism would sound like a cult"

They all laughed at what I said, except for Mark, who was still treating me coldly. And Aaron, who was way more invested on whatever he was looking at on his phone. I didn't find it in me to be engaged in the conversation though, since I kept glancing at the stairs all the time, hoping Jeovanni would appear coming down them.

"Man, my village was attacked" Aaron suddenly said in a tone of complain "I lost twenty trophies"

"Virgin" Mika scoffed, causing Aaron to glare at him.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned.

"Clash of clans" Malia told me with an eye roll "It's a game. Aaron is addicted to it. It's sad, honestly"

"Like I said, virgin" Mika reinforced his statement.

"Your mom would disagree" Aaron shot back.

"Dude, stop talking about my mom!" Mika groaned.

"She's hot" Aaron dismissed him, and Mika placed his hands above his ears to stop hearing whatever next words that come out of his friend's mouth.

"You guys are so childish with all those mom jokes" Danielle snorted "And with the clash of clans thing too. Isn't this game for eleven year old boys?"

"It's for girls too, you misogynist bitch" Aaron replied.

"Hey!" Mark threw a cushion at him "Don't talk to her like that"

My eyes deviated from the group of teenagers bickering to finally land where I was hoping it to land since the moment I stepped foot into this house. My breath got caught in my throat as I looked at Jeovanni. His hair was wet again. He was checking the watch on his wrist while descending the stairs in a rush. His clothes were more casual this time. But he managed to make my heart do cartwheels anyway.

Jeovanni stopped in his track when he caught sight of me in the living room. I could do nothing but stare at him. And he did the same. For a second. I had barely time to register his gaze before he walked past us in direction to the kitchen, ignoring me and everyone else in the process.

"He's sulking" Mark said as soon as his brother disappeared into the kitchen.

Mark's sentence made Danielle look at me, and I had to contain the urge to widen my eyes. She already knew something about me I didn't want her to. There was no way in hell she would know about this too. I'd flip if she did.

"Why?" Malia questioned "Do you think..."

"I don't know" Mark cut her off "He doesn't talk much about this stuff" He didn't let anyone make a single comment as he quickly glanced at me and added "Neither will we."