Long But Not Lost

A/N: So in honor of Memorial Day that's coming up I wrote this. Yes, I cried during part of it because I was listening to the song that inspired this short story. I dedicate this to all the soldiers who have gone MIA (Missing In Action) or KIA (Killed In Action). I can't imagine not knowing what happened to my brother. -Storywriter19

"Hey grandma? What's this?" My great-granddaughter said pulling out a locket I hadn't seen in years.

"That is a very special gift. From a man I have never stopped loving." I said resting my old bones in my favorite chair.

"Grandpa, gave this to you? It's so pretty." I smiled sadly.

"This was before your great-grandfather was in the picture." I said. She still hadn't grasped the concept of us being her great-grandparents. "Although I will always love him, may he rest in peace."

"Who was the man then?" She walked over and sat in front of me. She held the locket up to me. As soon as the locket was in my hands I remembered the day he gave it to me.

"His name was Thomas Ward. He lived down the street from me. We played together and when we went to high school we fell in love....

Thomas was such a daredevil. All of our friends went to the lake with us this year. Thomas was now on a giant tree limb with a rope in his hands.

"Thomas Ward, do you want to break your neck?" I called teasingly.

"Only if you'll be my nurse and make it better!" He called back before jumping and swinging into the middle of the lake. All of my friends laughed but I was worried. What if he didn't come back up? Would I be able to swim to him? Then he came up with a giant smile on his face.

"You're safe!" I exhaled as he swam to me.

"Too bad. I really wanted you to nurse me back to health." I splashed him and he laughed again. His beautiful blue eyes and dark blonde hair glistened in the sun light.

As the night grew closer, he pulled me away from our friends and kissed me. It was our little secret spot; our spot that would be ours forever. He handed me a small box. I looked at him and then at the box.

"What's this Thomas?"

"Open it." He smiled.

I opened it and found a gorgeous locket. On the inside was a picture of him. I smiled and kissed him. He helped put it on and smiled at me.

"What happened to him Grandma?" My little great-granddaughter asked me.