The link in the Chain

I know all too well the troubles he carries. The thoughts, the memories, the sounds. Though they are from a different time, its still the same. He carries them just like I do. The tall tale sign is the knee bobbing. Then there's the looking around. The looking for something that isn't there. Some of us are better at hiding it than others but we all do the same thing. Next is the 'gotta move; gotta keep moving' vibe you feel when they walk into a room. The final sign is in their eyes. There's always that 'something's missing' look in their eyes. Like a part of them was gone. Everyone of us had it.

He sat at a dinner table with who I assumed were his parents and girlfriend/wife. They all looked so relieved, so happy he made it home. But he looked tense; like the things he saw over there were still in front of him. I knew the feeling. They were the things we would never talk about. Not to our families, not to a professional, not even to each other. They were too powerful for us to bring up without a feeling of some emotion pop up. Whether it be rage, terror, or whatever, a feeling always popped up and it wasn't pleasant.

His family laughed and talked; just enjoying their night. He, on the other hand, was bouncing his knee and pushing his food around on the plate. It was a pattern for him.

*eat*

*shove food around*

*rest*

*eat*

*shove food around*

*rest*

My wife chattered on to our friends about a craft bazar she was in, giving me the chance to examine the young soldier. We were about the same. (If I was younger that is) Brown hair, cut in the military fashion, bluish green eyes, a slightly crooked nose, stress lines in the forehead, tattered and warn hands, dark tanned skin. The only difference was he volunteered. I was forced to go to war. To fight a battle I didn't want to fight. He volunteered to help this country. He voluntarily gave up his civilian life to help people, to protect us.

What do we get in return? Name calling and hatred from people who have never sacrificed something as important as your own life, just so they could stand there and call you names. Its hard on us. We give our all for a person's freedom and they use it to tear us down. I shake my head and call the waitress over.

She skitters over to our table and asks if I need a refill.

"I'm good. I was wondering if I could pay for that young soldier's meal tonight, along with my bill of course." The girl followed my pointing finger then turned back to me.

"Of course sir." She smiled and scurried off to add his meal to the bill. I gave sly glances as dinner passed. 

About the time my wife and I were leaving the waitress brought the bill to the family. They looked confused and called her back over. I rushed my wife and I out the door and headed for our car. I faintly heard the jingling of the diner door bells and heavy foot steps.

"Sir!" Called a strong voice. "Sir!!"

I turned to see the young Marine running up to my wife and I. He held out some money to me.

"Please, take this. I don't want you to waste your money on me, sir." He said.

"Don't worry about it soldier. Its time I passed it on."

"Pass what on?" He asked.

"See when I first came home from Vietnam, I was in a diner like this one. With my family just like you. I went to pay for a meal and was told it had already been paid for. I was told the man who paid for my meal had walked out of the diner. I followed him out and tried to pay him back. Know what he told me? He told me that because I was forced to fight, I deserved a free meal. He said to pass it on one day and today is that day. See I was forced by the draft to go fight. You my dear boy, volunteered. The least you deserve is a free meal. Semper Fi." I saluted him and he saluted back. With a final hug we parted ways. 

Its a link in the chain, I have passed my link to be connected with this young man just like the World War Two vet passed his onto me.

Tomorrow is Veterans day and I would like to thank any Veteran out there. May you be living or passed on, I thank you for your service and sacrifice for this country. Without that sacrifice where would this country be? I would like to thank my older brother for his sacrifice. He lost a few good friends while on his first tour of duty and he has not talked about any of his tours in Iraq. I know I'm the baby sister Kent but I love you and am so proud to call you my brother.

-Storywriter19