The Neighborhood Soldier

He smiles at me and thrusts the bug in my face. I squeal and fall off the picnic table. I sit up to see him laughing.

"That's not funny Tanner Baker!" I huffed getting to my feet. He slowly stops laughing and gives me an apologetic smile. "How are you not afraid of it?"

"Soldiers aren't afraid of nothin'." He puffed out his chest.

"You're no soldier!" I retorted.

"When I grow up I will be!"

>>>>>>>
"Tanner Baker get off that roof! You could break your neck! Isn't it scary up there?" I called to the stupid boy on my roof. He had planned to jump off it and into the pool.

"Soldiers aren't scared of anything!" He shouted and lept towards the pool. When he reached the surface, I glared at him.

"You're no soldier." I laughed.

"I will be one day."

>>>>>>>>>>

"Aren't you afraid Tanner? What if we get caught? Then what?" I asked standing on top of the high school roof. Prom was in full swing and Tanner wanted to leave the stuffy gym.

"Soldiers aren't afraid of anything." He simply said staring out at our hometown.

"You're no soldier." I said laughing slightly.

"Yet." I looked at him. "I leave after graduation for bootcamp."

"Oh." I whispered.

>>>>>>>>>>>

"You look nice Tanner." I said looking at my friend who wore his Dress Blues. He gave me a sad smile. "What's wrong?"

"I'm afraid." He whispered.

"Don't be afraid Tanner. You're a soldier remember? Soldiers aren't afraid of nothin'." I pulled him into a tight hug.

"I love you so much, Princess." He whispered into my hair.

"I love you too my brave soldier."