Gold Star

"We can have Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter all rolled into one when I get home babe. Right now just enjoy the holidays and give our babies a hug and a kiss for me. I have to go. I'll Skype you soon. Love you."

And he was gone again. I sighed while closing the laptop. Nights were the loneliest times of the day. While the twins were asleep and with nothing good on TV, I missed him. Kevin always wanted to be in the Marines. Ever since we were in 1st grade together he wanted to fight the bad guys. And he did. Three tours over there already then having twins. He didn't want to go back but he had this one last tour. Then he would be home with Claire and Allison. Unfortunately that meant he would miss most of the winter holidays and the twins' first birthdays. My phone buzzed and I quickly grabbed it.

"Mom?" I asked confused. She was supposed to be in California for Christmas.

"Hey sweetie. Your dad and I are headed back early. California wasn't all its cracked up to be. I mean for the holidays that is. I hate to admit it but I miss the snow." Mom rushed out.

"Oh ok. Um where are you at right now?"

"We are in the airport. We're waiting for our luggage to be unloaded from the plane. Don't worry about coming to get us, your dad is going to get a taxi. Oh can we host Christmas at your house. That way we don't have to worry about unpacking and then cleaning the house and then cooking. Of course I'll be over to help you cook so don't worry and I'm sure your brother would be willing to take Ally and Claire for a few hours while we work. His kids love them. Plus everyone can sit in the dinning room instead of the dinning room and garage at our place." Mom was one of those fast talkers and you couldn't get a word in until she was done. That made lectures as a kid horrendous. Rule number one:

DON'T TICK MOM OFF.

"I guess. I mean the house is a mess from the twins but I can fix it up. Kelly has the turkey so you might want to call her and warn her to bring it over here if she wants to cook it."

"No hun, I'll need the oven for my baking. I'll tell her to bring the turkey over to our house since we're closer and she can bring it when she goes to your house. Do you have any decorations up? You know how Kevin loved them."

"Yes mom. Kev wanted me to Skype him while I put the star on the tree."

"Oh good. I'll come over tomorrow and help you clean. I know having one child while cleaning is hard. I can't imagine two at the same age. Ok so expect me over by 6 am." My eyes about bulged. Does she think I live in a rat's nest??

"Mom my house is not that dirty." I said looking around my bedroom. Granted I had two crawlers getting into things but it wasn't that bad and I had cleaned the downstairs.

"I know sweetie. But I have to start making things and I don't want to be up late." She said something to dad and then turned back to me. "I'm going to call everyone else so I'll let you go. Love you see you tomorrow morning."

She hung up before I gave her a response. I stood up and stretched. I had to put a few things in the dishwasher before going to bed. I passed by the girls' bedroom. They miss their daddy. Claire uses one of his shirts as a blanket and Ally always looks at his picture that sits on the coffee table. I sighed and kept walking. I grabbed a sippy-cup and a bowl on my way to the kitchen. I threw the bowl and cup into the washer along with the other dishes and started it up. I switched off the lights and went back to my room. The house was silent except for the humidifiers in both the twins' room and mine. I partially closed my door before flipping the lights off and falling into bed. I wanted sleep to come quickly but the nights that Kevin and I Skype are the nights I never do.