Chapter 5

It was all such a blur of events. You were running from a monster, in your mother's embrace, then at the beach and now you are back in your room. Next to you on your bed was your book and pen. Donna had to have been the one to put them there.

She also must have been the one to bring you to your bed. But the horrific monster was burned into your mind. You were still convinced that all wasn't a dream. After the incident, Donna and Angie has stayed distant from you, and you have done the same. Everytime you saw one of them, you would go the other way.

Today was another day of complete silence. On the table was a note for you. You picked up the note and quickly read it. It was a shopping list. Lady Beneviento wanted you to get some fabric and thread from Duke. Your eyes shifted to the basket that was adjacent to where the note was.

A small part of you was happy that you have heard from Lady Beneviento after a good mouth of silence. That small part didn't matter if it was through a note. The rest of you was now on the edge with Lady Beneviento. You were still Lady Beneviento's maid and have a duty to fulfill.

You grabbed the basket, the list and your book and pen. You stopped at the front doors of the Beneviento Manor. How long has it been since you've stepped foot outside. The moment you opened the doors the cool breeze hit you face. It's been so long.

You walked the one path that lead out and into Lady Beneviento's territory. Walking through the gate you got many whispers about you. How someone came back alive from the Beneviento Manor. It was unsettling to have eyes on you. It was no secret that you were Lady Beneviento's maid. The Beneviento pin was on your work uniform for all to see. It was sewn into the fabric.

You found Duke by the church and a sigh of relief left your lips. You walked up to Duke with a warm smile.

"Hello little lady! How may I help you?"

You handed Duke the list that Lady Beneviento entrusted you with.

"Ahh, Lady Beneviento's fabrics and thread! Yes, yes!" Duke beamed.

"If I may have that basket of yours, I can put them in for you."

You handed Duke the basket, making sure to take your book and pen out. Duke then started to put in what appeared to be very expensive fabric in the basket along with the thread.

"You seem to be the quite type." Duke spoke.

You opened your book and started writing. You held it up for Duke to read.

I'm mute by birth. I'm unable to talk. I'm sorry if I came off as rude.

Duke's eyes widened.

"Oh no! Please don't think you were being rude! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure it must be hard for you, especially being Lady Beneviento's maid. I guess you are luck that you weren't given to Lady Dimitrescu."

You gave Duke a nervous smile.

"Don't worry! If Lady Beneviento wanted to kill you, she would have done so already. The fact that she kept you alive for three months means a lot."

You wish you could say that was reassuring. Your mind wondered back to the poor man that Lord Heisenberg brought to Lady Beneviento. Then the look on his face... the faint blood stains that you saw on the floor the lead to the elevator. You weren't allowed to go back down into Lady Beneviento's workshop after that incident.

You fear that she killed that man and Duke's words reinforced that thought.

"Here you are!" Duke said handing you the basket now full with fabric and thread.

You smiled at Duke before bowing.

"So well trained. No wonder Donna likes you."

Your blood ran cold and your smile dropped. You recognized that voice. You turned around to see Lord Heisenberg with his hammer over his shoulder and cigar between his fingers.

Because you were in another Lords presence, you timidly bowed. Lord Heisenberg snickered.

"Damn, Donna got lucky with you. Shame you weren't given to me. I would have put you to good use."

You were getting very uncomfortable. So, you bowed again before waving at Duke and Lord Heisenberg. You sprinted past Lord Heisenberg, completely ignoring his shouts. You were hoping that this wouldn't lead to something bad.

You quickly went through the gate and continued to run to Lady Beneviento's Manor. A random thought did pop up into your head. You could run away. Far, far away and never look back. But where would you go? You don't know what's outside the village and who knows if Mother Miranda would be able to find you or not.

Oh the consequences that would follow. You were trapped here and you would just have to accept it. You opened the doors to the house and closed them quietly behind you after you stepped in. You jumped when you saw a few dolls zoom by with what appeared to be weapons. They ignored you completely as they seemed like they were looking for something.

You were frozen in shock. You actually saw the dolls move and they had weapons. You swallowed hard and your mind raced with panic. What was going on? And were you going to get hurt? Was Lady Beneviento planning on killing you now? Should you run away?

You placed the basket onto the table and decided that it would be best to head to your room and wait for Lady Beneviento or Angie to come get you. You held your book tightly into your chest along with your pen. You pressed on the first step of the bottom of the stairs, which let out a really loud creak.

You then felt a wave of pain hit your head. Your head felt fuzzy again. You tightly shut your eyes, wondering why this would happen ever so often. A sigh left your lips and you continued up the stairs. As you got half way up, a loud pair of footsteps came running at you.

You didn't have time to react. All you knew was that someone had tackled you and you were now falling down the stairs. Your back hit the wood floor hard, forcing the air to get knocked out of you. You body started to scream in pain but once your eyes adjusted, you saw a man next to you with blood on his face and body.

It looks like he was beaten. The man's eyes shot wide open causing you to sit up and move away. Your book and pen have slid across the floor and the man grabbed your pen and went at you. He was stronger than you and pushed you down onto the floor. Your head was hit hard against the wood floor and now started to throb in pain.

The man held up the pen, stabbing you in your left shoulder. You sucked in a lot of air as tears pricked your eyes. The man swung down again, nicking the left side of your cheek and you felt the blood spill out. The man got ready to swing down again but you caught him by the wrist. Yes, your body was screaming at you in pain, your head throbbed in pain making it hard to focus.

You weren't very strong and you knew that, but it wasn't going to stop you from trying to survive. Your arm was shaking as the man started to over power you. You thought this was it, this was how you were going to die. To a mad man. Ready to give up, you heard a bunch of laughter that belonged to the dolls you saw earlier.

Once they saw you however, they growled and went ballistic. They attacked the man effectively getting him off of you. You just laid there slowly blacking out. Before you were consumed by the abyss, you saw Lady Beneviento and Angie come your way.

To you, it was nice to see them one last time. It was an odd feeling to have as you held some resentment and feared the pair. Soon you blacked out and everything felt cold.