Chapter 9

Your eyes were wide, you were frozen in place. There in front of the giant statue, laying on the ground, was your mother. Her throat was slit along with her wrists, her left eye was missing, hair all a mess and clothes were bloody and torn. Blood dripped from her mouth and eye socket.

"Well God damn." You heard Lord Heisenberg say.

"This is one of the most brutal murders yet!"

You were absolutely appalled by Lord Heisenberg's words. Your body started to shake and a strained wheeze left you. When Lady Beneviento looked at you, you took off to the corpse of your mother. You wrapped you arms around her and cried your eyes out, occasionally wheezing and clothes getting soaked with blood.

"Um? Donna? I think your maid might be upset." Lord Heisenberg said.

"Oh really? I would have never known." Angie replied sarcastically.

"If that person is of great importance to Donna's maid, yes, she would react like this." Lady Dimitrescu spoke.

Of course! This is your mother!

"It's her mother." Mother Miranda spoke up.

"This isn't the first time a string of murders have happened like this. The last time the murders ended with Donna's maid, Y/n's father. This was a targeted attack."

Hearing Mother Miranda bring up your father made you cry harder. Who would do this? And why?

"Is someone after the girls entire family?" Lord Heisenberg asked.

"I'm not sure. Y/n is now all that's left of her family. Donna, protect her until the one responsible is found. That also goes for the rest of you when she is around." Mother Miranda said.

You felt a hand on your shoulder. You turned your head and looked up to be met with your lady's veil. She was tugging on your shirt and reluctantly, you let go of your mother. Lady Beneviento wrapped an arm around you as she took you back to where you all were standing together.

"All of you, down to our usual meeting spot. They will clean up this nightmare." Mother Miranda said.

Without a word spoken, every followed Miranda. Because the path lead to a cave you had to duck your head a couple of times. All of you entered an open room and you followed your lady as she took her seat in the back on the left. You took a seat next to her, still with tears spilling out.

Angie moved of off Lady Beneviento and sat in your lap. You guessed that your lady wanted her to try and comfort you or Angie was doing this on her own. Once the other Lords took their seats, Mother Miranda started to speak.

"To address this situation I would first like to say that I'm sorry for your loss."

Mother Miranda looked directly at you and you nodded in turn.

"This is a serious problem and I want everyone to be on high alert. See something suspicious, deal with it. See someone unfamiliar? Deal with them. Salvatore was unfortunate to have been attacked which is why he isn't saying anything." Miranda said.

That's right. Lord Moreau was attacked by someone as well. You began to wonder if the true reason why Mother Miranda wanted you to come was to show you your dead mother.

"Anything suspicious, out of place, anyone unfamiliar or you feel something is wrong, deal with it. Immediately. This cannot keep happening."

All the Lords agreed in unison. Mother Miranda then went on to briefly touch on trading, the festival that was coming up and experiments that have taken place. You zoned most of the conversation out. Your head was trying to comprehend that your mother was now gone. You leaned into Lady Beneviento, gently holding Angie in your arms as the meeting continued.

Eventually, you all were dismissed. On the way back to the Beneviento Manor, you kept your head down to hide your tear stained face. Occasionally a few more tears would drizzle down your face and down your neck. Angie was still in your arms giving you a hug. You did feel slightly less upset while Angie had her little wooden arms around your neck.

Lady Beneviento opened the door for the both of you.

"You first." She whispered.

Still keeping your head down you walked into the house finding the nearest chair. It was soft and comfortable, but that didn't matter to you right now. Angie loosened her hold on you and without much resistance, you let her go and hop back to Lady Beneviento.

You shifted your body and rested your head in the palm of your hand. You eyes held a blank stare and the color in your eyes wasn't as vibrant as they used to be.

"Y/n?" Lady Beneviento called out.

Your eyes slowly moved up to look at your lady.

"I know how hard this must be for you. Believe me, I know this all too well. But to hear about your father..." You Lady trailed off.

Your eyes darted from your lady to the table with your book and pen on it. You quickly got up and grabbed your book and pen and started writing. You felt Lady Beneviento's gaze as you wrote. Yes, she did trigger something within you. You held up your book.

I don't like talking about my father. I never mentioned him because of what happened. You now know the basics, but I will not tell the story.

"I wasn't expecting you to tell." Your lady said very quickly.

"I'll wait for you to get comfortable to tell me. When that day comes, I'll show you my face."

The way she spoke surprised you. Your lady was very serious when she said that and with out a doubt, you knew she meant it. You slouched back into the chair, loosely holding your book and pen. Angie pouted out of the blue before running off.

"Y/n." Lady Beneviento said as she walked over to you.

You looked up as Lady Beneviento took a seat next to you and leaned in really close to you.

"Don't let this consume you. Don't let it ruin you like it did me. I would hate to see your happiness go bleak."

Your eyes widened. You've never heard your lady talk like this before and to be somewhat open about her past. Her hand rested on your knee as her other hand shifted her veil enough to see her one eye, lips and nose. She was being very open with you, being vulnerable. You placed your book and pen on the small side table next to you before you turned back to Lady Beneviento.

"Please try and stay strong. I will always be here for you, I'll help the best I can. Just ask." She whispered.

Your heart fluttered. You noticed a few black strands of hair fall in front of your lady's face. You placed your hand over hers and leaned in closer to her face. Lady Beneviento shuddered as you got close.

"Don't do something you might regret." Lady Beneviento whispered.

You shook your head, there was nothing to regret. Clearly she wasn't going to stop you. It was almost like she wanted you to do it. You could feel her breath on your lips, you were so close. Your lips ghosted your lady's lips. You were a bit hesitant, but given how your lady gently squeezed your knee, you didn't need to wait.

You closed the gap and holy hell, her lips were soft. Your lady's hand went up to the back of your neck while yours went to her exposed face. Your lady bit your bottom lip in which made you open your mouth for her tongue to explore.

This went on for a few minutes before the two of you parted. You saw the blush on her face and you were sure you had one yourself. You fully leaned into Lady Beneviento and started to silently cry again. She rubbed your back as you let it all out. You trusted her. You knew you were safe.

The connection you felt with Lady Beneviento felt wrong, sinful. Would this even be allowed? To fall in love with a Lord? That was something to worry about for later. You knew this wouldn't happen again so soon, but you prayed to whoever was listening that this wouldn't be the last time.