Welcome to Heartlake City

Eleven years had passed since Lydia died, and 19-year-old Mirabela had grown into a beautiful young woman. She took college art classes when she entered high school, and she'd recently finished college with an art degree and a teaching degree.

After that, Ramiro took his daughter to the local art gallery. While they were looking around, Ramiro met Lorelei Hogan, who was on vacation in Bahía de Rosa from Heartlake City, California, in the United States, and they fell in love—and it wasn't too long before they got married. Late this summer, Ramiro and Mirabela would move in with her in her manor house.

Along with Mirabela's new stepmother came her twin son and daughter, Calvin and Holly. Calvin was fine with all of this, but Holly was prickled at getting a stepsister, especially one who was younger and already done with college before her.

It was August 2014, and Mirabela and Ramiro had just gotten off the plane from Bahía de Rosa to Heartlake City.

"Well, mija, here we are," Ramiro smiled. "We just need to get through the border patrol, and we should see Lorelei at the baggage claim."

"Okay," Mirabela said.

Ramiro could tell that his daughter was a little jumpy. "Hey, I know it's hard getting a new stepmother and siblings, mija, but I want you to know that nobody could ever take your mother's place in my heart—and nobody could ever take your place either," he said.

"Gracias, Papi," Mirabela smiled.

Just as Mirabela and Ramiro made it to the baggage claim, they met up with Lorelei and her chauffer, Bailey.

"Ramiro, Mirabela, so glad you made it," Lorelei smiled.

"Hola, Lorelei," Ramiro smiled.

Lorelei kissed her husband on the cheek. "How was your flight?" she asked.

"Can't complain, but it feels good to get off that plane after about 10 hours," Ramiro replied.

Lorelei chuckled, and then she turned to smile at her stepdaughter. "Hey, Mirabela, ready to move in?" she asked.

"Sí, Lorelei," Mirabela replied.

Once the conveyer belt started moving, the luggage was on it. The minute Ramiro and Mirabela got theirs, they got into a shiny limousine with Lorelei and Bailey, and off they went to their new home. Along the way, Mirabela noticed how big and beautiful the city was.

"Wow, que ciudad ta fantástica," Mirabela gaped.

"I have no idea what you just said, dear, but I see like the city," Lorelei chortled.

"It's beautiful," Ramiro smiled. "Heartlake City ought to give you a little inspiration for a painting, right, nena?"

"Sí, it actually does," Mirabela admitted. Moving to a big city was a big change, but she did like inspiration.

"Just you wait," Lorelei said. "Heartlake City has a lot of inspiration to offer."

During the journey, Mirabela admired the beautiful city. Soon enough, the family reached the manor house, which was three times as big as the casita back home in Colombia. Outside, the twins were waiting. Calvin was excited to see his new stepfather and stepsister, but Holly was less than pleased, mostly about the stepsister part.

"Well, here we are, your new home," Lorelei said.

"Ramiro, Mirabela, you made it," Calvin beamed.