Chapter 2

"How dare you tell me you don’t know!” Fiza hiccupped when her sister Saba yelled at her. Saba looked at the rest of the family and yelled. “I am telling you. She told him something in the letters. How come he divorced her when it was he who wanted to marry her?”

It’s been thirty-six hours since Fiza received that envelope. She has told several times that she didn’t know why Abhan sent her a divorce but no one was ready to believe her. Everyone was convinced she has done something to mess it up. Fiza ran into her room and cried her heart out. It seems like a nightmare she wanted to end.

Fiza wanted to know why he did this to her. And wonders were all of his promises fake? Didn’t he love her? Aunt Shama had sent all the stuff her siblings has given as dowry. Fiza tried asking Aunt Shama why he did it but Salma was quick to ensure a fight with Aunt Shama. It seems Aunt Shama too didn’t know why Abhan did this.

Fiza refuses to leave her room because whenever she steps out her sisters start yelling at her. All of them only wanted one thing. For her to admit what she did wrong. And, Fiza couldn’t help but wonder how to ask Abhan. She couldn’t write a letter to him now. No one will agree to post it for her now.

No one wanted this news to get out. In fact, they wanted to wed her off as soon as possible. And, when Ahmed told her someone was coming for marriage tomorrow Fiza was disgusted. Only the image of someone else in Abhan’s place was enough to bleed her heart.

Fiza came out to see her mom in her room who was quick to gesture her to sit with her. “Fiza, everything will be alright. Your sisters don’t want anyone to know in their in-laws about your divorce.” Hot tears trailed down Fiza’s cheeks. “I know it is not your fault. Your fate is to blame for it. But I am sure you will be happy with…”

“I am not marrying anyone, mama. Please, tell them to stop looking for anyone for me. I can’t forget Abhan. He…how can he divorce me? Shouldn’t I be asked too? I don’t accept this divorce.” Fiza broke into tears and her mother lowered her gaze.

“In our religion, a man can end this on his own. You know that. Don’t…don’t act like a kid. And, I am sure any place will be better for you than to live here. What will you get here, Fiza? Your siblings…”

“No, no, no, please don’t say this. Everything will be the same. I…I can’t marry anyone. If not Abhan…I don’t know how to tell you this…can’t I talk to Abhan? What if I can change his mind? Please, somehow let me talk to him. He…”

“If you wanted Abhan so bad. Why did you annoy him?” Fiza looked at her mom in horror. Wondering if she too was blaming her.

“Mom, I really don’t know. I am dying here to know why he did this. Why don’t they ask Abhan…” Fiza broke into sobs and her mother scoffed. “What’s the use of asking him now? He is no one to us now or to you. Forget him.”

“I can’t…” Fiza said and her mother pulled her sleeve with all she got and made her lean to her. “Your brothers are going to wed you off to someone tomorrow. You have a lot less than to forget Abhan. Forget he ever existed, Fiza.”

Fiza looked at her mom and gulped hard. She wonders why no one could listen to her. In the middle of the night, she walked out and dialled Abhan. He picked after the third ring and Fiza had her voice caught when she heard him for the first time. “Hello?”

“Abhan?” She asked and he was quick to ask, “Yes, who is it?”

Fiza’s mouth shivered while she struggled to say what she wanted to say. She wonders why he did it. “Why Abhan? Why? Don’t do this to me. What have I done to you? You said you love me. Abhan, I don’t know about you. But I love you so much. My brothers will marry me off to someone tomorrow. Please, please get me out of here. I can’t live without you. Please understand. I will die. I swear I will die.” Fiza hiccupped but gasped when someone jerked her. “Who are you talking to? Are you planning to elope with your lover? Is this the reason Abhan divorced you? You told him about your lover? Didn't you?” Anaya caught her but Fiza shook her head.

“No, no, I was talking to Abhan, Abhan…”

“How dare you lie to me? Why would you ask Abhan to take you from here?” Fiza shook her head but Anaya gathered everyone.

Fiza tried telling everyone it was Abhan but Anaya kept slapping her. Only when Aqeel came to check the number he confirmed it was Abhan. Fiza had a split lip and swollen cheek with all the slaps her sisters plastered to her face.

“Salma, tell him to forget Abhan. Who is he to her? He is a stranger to her now. It is a sin for her to even think about him let alone talk to him. I don’t want to listen to this name in this house again.” Jabran told his wife and Fiza ran to her room wondering how to kill herself.

She wonders why she was such a burden. She gets now she was with a divorced label. But at least, her family could show a little mercy to give her some time. She somehow wanted to wake up and learn it was all a bad dream.

Fiza read Abhan's letters the whole night. In the morning Saba and Anaya told her they were going to wed her off. No one was invited to her wedding this time. It seems they didn’t want anyone to know about her divorce.

Saba got her dress in her room and told her. “Get ready by noon.” Fiza looked at the dress shocked. It was the same dress she had worn on her wedding day with Abhan. “I don’t want to marry anyone. Not today…not ever.” Fiza said in finality and Anaya walked into the room. “What are you doing? Did we ask you to get a divorce?” Fiza looked at Anaya with pure disgust and asked, “Did I ask you to marry me to Abhan? No! Why can’t all of you just leave me alone?”

“Leave you alone? And, what will you do? For how long do you want your brothers to feed you? Some day we have to marry you. Then, what’s the use of providing for you? Why not now?” Anaya seethed.

“Shut up, Anaya, she is only going to cry more. Whatever we say now won’t make sense to her. If she had to feed one mouth then she will realize how hard it is.” Saba told her and Fiza couldn’t help hiding her face in her palms. She didn’t know why it was happening to her.

Not only were they marrying her in a hurry but also refuse to take into account that it was only two days since her divorce. Everyone refuse to see she wanted some time to tend to her bleeding heart. But it seems Fiza wasn’t allowed to have a heart. It was her brother Subhan who found a match and they didn’t have any problem with her being divorced.

Fiza wonders who was this family who agree to marry a divorced girl. Girls like her were impossible to get any match. Fiza refused to wear the dress but it couldn’t stop the priest from coming to her room with her brothers. The priest asked her for approval but she refused.

“I don’t,” She looked with her eyes red and the priest told her brothers. “If you want I will come after some time,” The priest left and Salma was quick to intervene. “I will not let her live one more night here if she didn’t agree…” Before Salma could finish Subhan started.

“You will either say yes to this marriage or no one will ever see your face. You will have to leave this place now, either like a good valued woman. Or a woman on her own. And, you know how those women are seen. Corrupted ones. A woman who is nothing but meat for the whole of society. It won't be easy for you out there on your own. Do you hear me? I will never see your face!” Fiza hiccupped before breaking into sobs. She wonders how she can agree to marry someone. Wasn’t she already married? Didn’t Abhan know what will happen to her if he left her?

She felt helpless. The guy she fell in love with left her with a mark of divorce. If she was an unwanted burden before now she was a mess her family had to get rid of soon.

They let the priest in again but Fiza couldn’t stop hiccupping. She never heard what her husband’s name was but when Jabran growled, “Now Fiza. Say yes now, or you will be responsible for what is to follow.”

“I do,” She whispered and sobbed harder.

Her mother came into her room afterwards to assure her she will keep praying for her. But Fiza didn’t feel like she need anyone’s prayers now. Somehow she knew her life was finished. She knew she was married to someone else. When her heart only knew one name, Abhan.