Chapter 9

Fiza raised her hands for the prayer but couldn't say a word. She was shaking with the fact Kamran will be home any moment. It had been a week since that horrifying night. But it seemed like she has already spent hundred years with the beast. She didn't know how her God will make it possible but since that day she only wanted one thing. She wanted to be free from him. She didn't know why she was put through this trial but knew she had to find a way out of this marriage.

In this one week, she had find out a lot about the man who was supposed to be her husband. He was not only an alcoholic. He didn't have faith too. And, the fact he made her drink alcohol every night had her disgusted with herself. She didn't know how to contact her family for support. But knew her God will make a way out. She didn't let her faith falter. She knew she won't be left lonely.

She had already written a letter for her family but how to post it was a task. Kamran had never given her a single penny. And, he always locked the door. There wasn't a single soul she had talked to since she had moved into this apartment.

Little sniffs filled the room as she prayed for a way out. "Please, please show me a way." She sobbed and sniffed holding her wrist on her nose. She finally finds the courage to ask her God to be free. "Please, you know how hard it is. Please, I don't want him anywhere near me." She had forgotten all about her mother or cats this week. She didn't know what else to ask for. She couldn't care about what her life will be like after the second divorce. But anything would be better than this one.

Her nose and cheeks were pink with all the crying. This is the only thing she knew to let her pain channel out. Realizing he will be home any moment Fiza rubbed her eyes instantly. She was very aware of not letting him any chance to get mad at her. She didn't want him violent again. Her back and hands still hurt from all the lashing. Inhaling sharply she tried to prepare herself to face him but it seemed he was late. She recalled how he had finished his beer recently. And, must be late to buy it.

Walking to her kitchen cabinet she got the letter out she had hidden behind the pink china crockery. She couldn't help wetting her eyes realizing this piece of paper will soon reach her family. "I wish I can find a way to post it as soon as possible."

An hour passed but there was no sign of Kamran. It was a weird kind of torture. She didn't want him here. But this wait for when he will be here was hard too. She was literally shivering for the last hour. The walls seemed to be closing on her. She jumped the moment she heard Kamran unlocking the padlock from outside. Her mouth was dry in an instant but she moved her feet out of the kitchen to welcome him.

She found his face wincing and leg limping. Her eyes narrowed to his feet when he groaned. "Agh..." A painful little groan passed Kamran's mouth as he made his way in. Fiza could see blood on his white sneakers.

She wanted to ask what happened but didn't. And, only walked ahead to hold the bag he had come in with. "Motherfucker! He literally walked his car all over me." Fiza was about to get away when Kamran got his arm around her shoulder and winced. "Fuck!"

Fiza held him and helped him get to the couch. "It is still bleeding. Shouldn't we go to the hospital?" Fiza asked seeing his foot bleeding.

"And, who is going to pay for it? You!" Fiza got her fingertips on her cheek fearing he will hit her.

"I..." Fiza seemed to be clueless.

"Get me that thing you were using for you." Fiza took a minute realizing he was asking for the same turmeric powder.

"I will get it."

Fiza made it quickly but was speechless looking at the scratches. His whole leg had a bad scratch. "I think we...should clean it first," Fiza suggested and Kamran groaned. "What are you waiting for? Do it."