S e v e n t e e n

Yasu's POV

Feeling the two breathing styles combine, I immediately aimed for the demon's neck, slicing through it like tofu. 

"WHAT?" It screeches, fading away. The dolls were fading away too. So was the building. 

The building completely faded away, and I collapsed right onto the floor. Dang it, why do I always have to collapse?

The children groans and looks around. One little girl with pigtails spots me first, and screams.

"Miss!" She shouts, stumbling and running over. She looks like she's about 7 years old.

I grunt, pulling myself up. I take out an emergency cloth I had, and tie it around my wounded arm.

"Are you okay?" The little girl asks, putting her tiny hands on my arm. I wince. 

She furrows her eyebrows and turns back to the rest of the kids. They are looking around cluelessly.

"Come on, guys! Someone go fetch the doctor!" She orders, and they stay still for a moment. One finally moves, running back into the village.

A few minutes later, I spot the little boy who had ran out. He's coming back with a doctor.

The doctors sits down next to me, examining my wounds. 

"Great job putting this cloth over your wound," He says, grabbing needles. "It stopped the bleeding. But it seems like you got some poison in your body. This'll help ease it down."

"You look young," I mention, looking over the doctor. Usually they're middle aged. 

He laughs. "I'm only 16. I studied out in a big town, so they put me in the role. Don't worry. I've had many experiences."

I feel the needle poking through my arm. I shut my eyes. I hate this.

"aaaand... done!" The young doctor says, putting the needle back into his pocket. 

I sigh in relief. "I hate needles."

"You look young too." He says, studying my face. "You saved all these missing kids?"

"I'm 12, and yes. I'm trained, so I was able to manage." I answer.

He looks around. "..is my little brother here too? He went missing a week ago..."

I stay silent. Looking through the crowds of kids. 

I see him clenching his fist. "He's... not here."

"I'm sorry." I mumble, feeling guilty. 

He takes a deep, shaking breath. "It's okay. At least you saved all these other kids."

I get up and walk over to the empty yard. Kneeling down, I make a small grave for the children's lost lives. Including the young doctor's brother.

Bringing my hands together, I silently pray for a minute. 

After that, I walk back to the doctor packing up his stuff. He looks up and scurries to his feet. "Let's go take these kids back to the village. You can stay at my place today. You're condition is still very bad."

"Okay." I nod, gathering up the kids. "Let's go."

The kids all chatter in excitement. Some of the kids looks confused.

"Hey," I call out, and one of the kids look at me. "What's wrong? Aren't you happy to go back home?"

"I am... but it's strange. Before I kinda blacked out, my school," She pointed back at the ruins of the school, "was all fine. It was well built. I was taking my classes."