N i n e t e e n

Yasu's POV

When I finally arrive at the butterfly mansion, the Sun is setting. Time to go find Kota.

Glancing around, I spot Kota climbing up to the roof. Perfect timing.

Following her, I pull myself up to the roof. I walk over and tap her shoulders. 

She realizes me and gets up, but I grab her haori preventing her from walking away.

"Kota, what are you doing here?" I mumble, staring into her eyes.

She pulls away and stays quiet. 

"Kota. Answer me." I demand, gritting my teeth. I have to get to the bottom of this. "Did you escape? If you did, how? I know you were not trained."

She inhales deeply. Preparing herself for the truth, maybe? 

Instead, she dashes away. 

"Hey!" I shout, chasing after her.

It's now confirmed that she has something to hide.

I land on the ground soundless, turning around the corner.

I stop when I see Tomioka-san with her. Shoot. I get the worst timings.

I clench my fists as I see her walking away. She steps outside of the gate, her gaze meeting mine before the doors closes shut.

---

My feet drags along the floor as I make myself to the spare room Kocho-san prepared me. I could realllly get some sleep right now-

"Hey, Yasu!" I hear a familiar booming voice call me. I turn around and see Rengoku-san walking towards me.

"Hey, Rengoku-san," I mumble, yawning. "How may I help you?"

He laughs. "You seem very tired. I was about to take you to my estate! Can you walk there? It's really not that far!"

I nod slowly. "Of course.." I drift off, but managing to snap awake.

He smiles and crouches down. "Hop on my back! I'll carry you!"

"You don't have to-"

"Come on!"

I give in and climb onto his back. This reminds me of the first time we met. I snuggle into the warmth of him, forcing my eyes to keep open.

I see three guys, the chaotic squad, swarm around Rengoku-san.

"Yasu seems very tired," I hear Tanjiro-kun's soft voice speak out. I feel his hands tugging my hair to my ear so it doesn't cover my sight. "Get plenty of rest, nee?"

I nod slowly, failing to keep my eyes open.

----------

My eyes burst open at the crashing sound. Scurrying out of my futon, I make myself to the kitchen as fast as I can.

"Senjuro?" I call, entering the kitchen. I stop when I see shattered glass on the floor. "Whoa."

"Oh- Yasu!" He looks up from cleaning and smiles. "Sorry, did I wake you up?"

"Yes, you did. But it's alright. It was time for me to get up anyways. What happened here?" I ask, kneeling down to give him a hand.

He picks up the glasses carefully and puts them on a tray. "Just me being clumsy... I'll have to replace this before my father figures it out."

I stay silent, picking up the broken glasses. I finally speak up when we're finished. "We could go into town together if you want?"

"Really?" He exclaims. "That'll be great! I'm not very good at talking to strangers."

"Of course. I was bored anyway! Let's go!" I say, dragging him along.

"Wait! I have to put the glass shreds into the trash!!"

---

We arrive at a nearby town. I'm wearing my kimono, and Senjuro is just wearing his everyday clothes. 

"Oh," I perk up. "What did you break?"

"A fancy plate. We bought it in this town so it won't be a problem."

I nod, picking up my pace. "Let's get going!!"

"The shop is right here-" 

I stop in my position, do a 180 turn and place my feet firmly on the ground. "Right."

We enter the shop, and carefully look around. Everything is made of glass here so we'll have to be really careful.

"Found it," I hear Senjuro's voice coming from the next stall. I hurry over and see him holding one plate with beautiful designs on it.

"Let's go pay!"

We walk to the person running the shop. I take the plate from Senjuro's hand so he doesn't have to talk.

"Hello, sir." I call out to the owner, and he spins around to look at me.

"Ah! Young customers. How may I help you?" He asks, greeting us with a warm smile.

I hold up the plate. "We would like to purchase this, please!"

"That.. is 3480 yen!"

I dig into my pocket and hold out the change. "Here you go."

He takes the money, counts it, then smiles. "The plate is all yours. Be careful not to drop it!"

"Yep. Have a good day, sir!" I bow, and Senjuro bows next to me. We walk out of the shop and into the streets.

"Whew," Senjuro sighs. "I thought I was dying back there."

"You won't die by talking to some stranger!" I laugh. 

We walk along the paths, talking about random stuff. 

"Hey, Yasu! I'm glad you got some rest!" I hear Tanjiro-kun's voice.

I turn around to see the squad running towards me. I wave.

"Hi!" I greet them with a smile. I can feel Senjuro hiding behind my back and gripping onto my Kimono. 

I shift my Katana so it won't poke him. Yes, I brought my katana just in case. Maybe it was a bad idea since I'm wearing a kimono, but still.

"Tanjiro-kun! Have you met Senjuro?" I introduce, poking the boy hiding behind me.

"I don't think so. Who is he?" Tanjiro-kun tilts his head.

Senjuro lets go of his grip and slowly reveals himself. "Hello."

"Uwah! Is that Rengoku-san's little brother? They look so much alike!" Agatsuma-kun exclaims, running up to study Senjuro.

"Yes, he is. He's-" I start, but Tanjiro-kun shushes me.

"Do you smell that? Oh wait, sorry. You don't. I smell the presence of a demon... a really strong one." He mummers, placing his hands on his katana.

Right after he said that, I feel a familiar aura too. Senjuro backs off, while Agatsuma-kun is shivering in fear. The boar guy looks like he's ready to fight. I move my hand towards my sword, but stop when I realize that aura.

"It's fine." I say, relaxing a bit. "He won't hurt us.. not to my knowledge."

"Who?" 

"Him," I turn to face the squad, pointing towards my back. I see a shadow coming towards us. 

The squad all freeze, including Senjuro.

Agatsuma-kun holds up his shaking hands. "Y-yasu.. In case you didn't realize... he's an-" 

"An uppermoon, I know." I finish his sentence, and turn around. "We met again pretty damn quick, huh?"

"Watch your mouth... Yasu... You're in no age... to say that..." He squints his eyes narrowly at me.

"Who are you to tell me stuff like that, spider?" I cross my arms. "Are you my parent?"

"You were the one... who brought that up.." He mentions. 

Shoot. 

Senjuro bravely walks up beside me, poking my arm. I turn to look at him.

"Is he going to.. to- to eat us?"