Reason #1: No One Wants To

Cassidy Page. Blonde. Perfect body. The girl the high school Junior me wanted more than anything. And I had a plan to get her. I mean, I practically had it in the bag. Sadly, I was too much of a coward to do anything about it. Not that it was going to stop me or anything. She was perfect. Nothing could stop me.

"Prom," my best friend, Bobby Erickson, said to me one day on our way to study hall, "Girl's dressed in the best clothes they may ever own, tanned skin, and only doing it to impress guys. They dream their whole lives of the day, and who they will be dating."

"What are you gwarrbelling about?" I asked, taking my seat at the table in the library.

"I am 'gwarbelling', as you put it, about Prom, which, is three months away," he said, "And I am going to use that time to make my impression on my date."

"Still very unclear what it is you're talking about," I said. The librarian shot us an angry look. I just waved at her. She rolled her eyes and looked away.

"I am going to start making my moves on Cassidy Page," Bobby said. See this was a common problem with Bobby. I liked her, therefore he liked her. Then again, there wasn't a guy on the planet who didn't like Cassidy. I'm pretty sure there were even a multiple some of girls.

"What, no!" I protested, a little louder than necessary. The librarian shushed me, and I just waved at her. I lowered my voice, "We covered this. I'm taking Cassidy. You're taking Alison."

Alison was Cassidy's best friend, who was almost as hot, and who actually liked Bobby. Bobby had agreed to this plan years ago, but sadly, he had amnesia at times he knew it would most annoy me.

"Will, its obvious Alison will be more, how do I put this, you're speed," Bobby said, patting me on the shoulder.

"Jerk," I muttered, shrugging away,"If you ask Cassidy to prom I promise you, I will tell your mom what we did at summer camp." Blackmail tended to be my best defense against Bobby's psychotic breaks. This time however, my proceeds failed to prevail.

"Dude, that's like my finest moment. Duh my parents know," he said. I slumped back in my seat. "How about this," he said, "You date someone totally undateable for two months, and I won't say a single word to Cassidy about prom."

"Where did you hatch that evil scheme from?" I asked.

"I saw it in a movie my sister watched," Bobby admitted, "We on."

"Two months?" I asked, "I won't get much of a chance to even make an impression on Cassidy."

"Two months, or I ask," Bobby said.

"Who's undateable?" I asked, "You're plan has got some holes Bobby."

"My plan, or your plan to go to prom with Cassidy," Bobby said.

"Fine," I muttered, knowing the bet would probably be in the toilet in a week anyway, "I'll asked out Horses Hailey." Horses Hailey was a girl I had gone to school with since second grade. Still, in 11th grade, obsessed with horses, and a little shy. Sort of cute. Dark hair, tan, mostly okay body, minus the weird freckle on her neck.

"Uh uh," Bobby said, "She's cute-ish. Undateable my friend. Think," he said. He looked around the library.

"Bass-Playing Katie?" I asked. My mind transferred to a red haired, freckled girl who eternally had braces. Mega quiet, but really sweet.

"Her," Bobby said, pointing to a girl in the corner. I recognized her. Abby Carson. Her hair was always changing color, from pink, to black, to red, to blue, to brown, all depending on what she intended dress up as that weekend, at some nerd-convention. One day, when she died her hair brown, her actually wore Princess Leia buns to school. She had chunky geek glasses, was in eternal winter when it came to her skin tone, and her nose was perpetually in some comic book or graphic novel, or manga. Not that previous to this experience I would have known the difference between the three. About as quiet as you could get, and just plain old weird.

"No," I said, "Someone else."

"I wonder if Cassidy will make me wear a tux or suit," Bobby teased. I groaned, but still decided to go with the challenge.

"I'm going," I muttered. I didn't even know what I would ask her to. I tried to rack my brain for romantic movies playing in the theater.

"Hey," I said as I reached her table. She didn't look up. I questioned if she had even heard me. I saw a white earbud in her ear, so I tapped her shoulder, and she jumped, looking up from her comic book. It took all my willpower not to continue to stare into it, as I saw a scantily clad superhero in its pages.

"Yes?" Abby asked, looking up at me.

"Uh, hey, can I, uh, sit here?" I asked, pointing to the seat across from her.

"Not like I have a use for it," she said, about to put her earbud back in. I started talking before I got to my seat so I could ask her.

"Hey, I was just wondering, what you were doing on Friday night," I said.

"I don't see why you would have any interest in what I'm doing," she said, her eyes on the pages of the comic. Obviously uninterested, which seemed to throw me off my game.

"Well, uh, you see, I was just wondering, there's, uh, this movie. Its a romantic comedy, uh,-"

"No," she interrupted. For a second I was confused. There was no way a girl like her would say no to a guy as awesome as me.

"I'm sorry?" I asked, confused.

"No I will not go to a romantic comedy with you," she said, looking up from the pages of the book, "If I wanted to sit in a theater awkwardly to see a movie that doesn't interest me, I would take my dad to the stupid movie." She eyes went back to the page.

I was shocked. Did I just get rejected by very possibly the weirdest girl at school. I had to try again. "Uh okay. What about dinner at Marcus's downtown?" At least they had good food, and it was a sports bar. I could probably watch the game over her head while she talked about the next nerd convention she was going to. That is if she didn't bring her comic books.

"If I say no, will you try and find a replacement date for that too?" she asked.

"Yes, although I'm running out of ideas, if we're being honest," I said, smiling meekly.

"Yes then. Friday at Marcus's," Abby said, not even looking up from her comic book. Totally unfazed. I had to say it was a little anti-climatic.

"Uh, okay, should I get your number?" I asked. She sighed, ripping out a sheet of notebook paper. She scribbled her name and number on it, then handed it to me. Then Abby had her nose right back in her comic. I shoved the paper in my pocket and found my way back to the table. I showed the number to Bobby.

"There," I said, "Are you happy now?"

Bobby laughed. "Enjoy your date, lover boy." The librarian shushed us again, and I opened my geometry textbook, and started in on my homework.