Reason #12: She'll Take Tests Way Too Seriously

We were a matter of days away from the SATs, which meant one thing. If there was a graph of how high strung a person was, Abby was on a sheet of paper 4 sheets up. She sat on my floor, and we were studying. "Define Belabor, judging from the context it was used in the sentence," Abby said,writing down her own answer on a sheet of paper.

"To excessively work on," I said, "Like you're doing in studying."

"I have to," Abby said, "This is my one shot at a future."

"Last I checked you can retake this as many times as you want. It just costs more," I pointed out.

"Still, I don't want to. You shouldn't want to either," Abby retorted.

"I'm getting a scholarship for hockey," I said, "It's practically in the bag."

"But it's not yet, and even athletic scholarships could pass you up if you don't do well on this test," Abby said, "So you ready to keep studying?"

I sighed, "Next question."

"Based on the context of the story, Rosaline is a very loquacious person," Abby said, "True or false?"

"False," I said.

Needless to say, after spending so much time studying with Abby, even I was nervous for the test.

We were sent to a separate testing sight, Abby quickly finding me on the bus over.

"I'm dead," Abby whispered.

"If you're dead, then I'm-" I stopped realizing there was nothing "more dead" than dead.

Abby smiled, "You'll be fine. You've been doing great on the studying."

"And you haven't been?" I asked. That made her smile again.

We stopped and piled off. "Good luck today," she said.

"You don't need it," I said, "So I'm not telling you to, uh, have it."

She laughed. Then she was gone.

We were put in rooms to test. They handed out the books. At this point I was practically certain death was an option.

First subject, English. I smiled. Good thing Abby was particularly belaboris. I took my time running though questions, my heart pounding the whole time.

When we broke for lunch, I caught up with Abby.. "How have you been doing?" I asked.

"Too soon to tell," Abby said, "You?"

"I think I might have done okay. I didn't realize studying actually makes the testing easier," I chuckled. Abby laughed.

"Hey, what are you doing tonight?" she asked.

I smirked, "Nothing so far. What do yah have in mind."

"I was thinking of watching a few Marvel movies, and heaven forbid, the Hangover," Abby said, "You in?"

"You know, sometimes I think I love you," I joked. Abby giggled. The signal lunch was almost over sounded. I kissed her quickly.

"So text me later about the details. Your place or mine, that sort of thing. Preferably yours," she said, starting away.

"Of course," I said. I waved at her, then she disappeared.

"Hey man," Bobby said, coming up behind me, "Kissing now huh?"

"Sure," I said, "Why not?"

"Whatever, I've been told it's none of my business," he said, "And I'll play nice because this testing is hard. Hey, you coming to the Post-SAT party at Alex's tonight?"

"Can't," I said.

"What do you mean you can't?" Bobby asked.

"I've got plans," I said, "I'll see you later okay. I've got to get this test."

"Sure thing," Bobby said, confused by my sudden inability to go to a party. I didn't care.

The test finished off, my stress dwindling down throughout the day. Finally I found myself answering the last question. I filled in the last bubble. I got up from my seat, my hands shaking. I handed in the test. I either just screwed my future, or just passed my SATs. Nothing was more terrifying. And it was over.