Reason #5: No One, I Repeat, No One Will Let You Live It Down For One Minute

As a Junior in high school, I had learned a long time ago the vengeance of the Monday. Of course, this Monday was specifically bad. I figured it out when I got into the school and everyone was staring at me. And not in a good "you just won the hockey game" sort of way.

I was finally enlightened as to why by Bobby on my way to 3rd Period: "Because you are dating the undateable ."

"So?" I asked, "I've been here since Freshman year. It's not like I've changed."

"Oh, but you did my friend. You are now no longer the cool guy you have always been, but the guy who is sacrificing his reputation for a girl with green hair," Bobby said, patting me on the back. I shrugged him off irritatedly, stalking off to class.

Class also sucked. A few people made sure to talk all about me and my adventures. Others just stared.

Finally I got to my Geometry glass, where I sat down in my seat. The only class I had with Cassidy. I put my head down on my desk, wishing I could disapear into it. Sadly, no such luck.

That's when someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Go away," I groaned.

"Okay then," I heard a familiar voice say. I quickly picked up my head.

"Nope, nope," I stammered like an idiot, "Not you sorry. I, uh, thought you were someone else."

"Who did you think it was?" Cassidy said, raising one blonde eyebrow.

"Uh, no one," I said, then quickly back tracked, "I mean, not no one. I mean obviously. I mean, someone tapped me on the back..."

Cassidy giggled at my babbling and I stopped.

"I heard about you and Aubrey," she said.

"Abby," I corrected, my spirits falling.

"Whatever," she said, shrugging, "I just want you to know I think it's sweet. How you can give up an ego to date a girl like her."

"Sweet huh?" I asked, letting my surprise show. Maybe I could play this, "Well you know. She's a sweet girl."

"I'm sure," she said, "Maybe if it end you and I could maybe, you know."

"Maybe," I said, although it sounded more like a question than an answer. She giggled again, only before the bell rang and she took her seat.

The rest of the day I was walking on air, day dreaming about what Cassidy had said. That was until I got home after practice. To my parents and a report card on the table.

"A D?" my mom asked, "How is this the best you can do?"

"I'm sorry," I said, "Its just I've been so busy with sports."

"You can kiss Hockey goodbye," my dad said, "You have to have a good GPA if you want a scholarship next year."

"Its one grade," I pointed out, "And its science. No one gets it."

"And if it doesn't improve then you won't be playing next year," my dad scolded, "And you can put all your chips on that I don't care how 'everyone else' is doing." I shrugged.

"Time for school to matter William," my mom said, the use of my full name showing she meant business.

"It does,"I said, defending myself, "I just have a lot on my plate. That's all."

"Well if your grade doesn't improve, we'll start clearing that plate for you," my mom said, "Now go up there and study."

I nodded, just glad to escape the wrath of my parents, and swung my backpack onto my bed, pulling out a textbook and sitting down at my computer. That's when my phone rang. I answered.

"Hey?" I said.

"Hey," Abby said on the other side, "Um, so what's up." I set my phone down and put her on speaker.

"Not much," I said, rubbing my forehead, "Just getting the wrath of my parents over my science grade on my report card."

I heard Abby chuckle, "Mine just came today. We're opening it during dinner tonight."

"You've got nothing to worry about," I said, "What do you spend with your nose in a book. 8 hours a night?"

"More like 4, but you know," I could almost hear Abby shrug, totally serious.

"Crazy," I said. laughing, "We should get together sometime this week."

"Yeah yeah," Abby said, "We'll see how my report card turns out first. I might be grounded."

"Something tells me that won't be the case," I pointed out. She chuckled. That's when my mom barged into my room.

"Who are you talking to?" my mom asked angrily.

"Is that you're mom?" Abby asked, apparently not realizing she was on speaker.

"Yeah," I said, "Abby Carson, my mom, my mom, Abby Carson."

"Abby Carson?" my mom asked, her expression changing, "I haven't seen you since you two were in preschool. How are you?"

"I'm good, Mrs. Orson," Abby said.

"Listen I hate to break up the conversation, but Will needs to study," my mom said. I groaned.

"Totally understand Mrs. Orson," Abby said, "I'll see you tomorrow Will."

"Yep," I said, "See you."

Then she hung up. "Abby Carson?" my mom asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Its a long story," I said.

"You want to explain?" she asked.

"We've sort of been on a couple of dates recently," I said, suddenly wanting to study.

"Dating? William, why have I not met her yet?" my mom asked.

Because I'm only dating her on a bet I thought to myself. "It's not that serious," I said.

"Well I want to see her," my mom said, "Oh, you and Abby were so close when you were in preschool."

I was starting to worry for my mom's sanity. But I conceded. "Fine," I muttered, "If you'll get out of my room I'll invite her over for dinner or something."

"I can't wait Will," my mom said, the excitement resonating in her voice. She got up and left, turning quickly before, "Don't forget."

"I won't I groaned," I muttered. Now I had to invite her over.