Reason #6: Your Parents Will Love Her (This is a Problem Believe Me)

I found Abby at school the next day. "Do you have to be charming?" I asked.

"Um, thanks?" she said, raising an eyebrow.

"You're coming over to my house tonight for dinner," I demanded. She raised an eyebrow.

"I am?" she asked, her voice the slightest bit sassy.

"Yeah," I said, then added, "Please?"

"Fine," she said, "I'll be there by 5."

I nodded, "See you then."

That night at 4:54 there was a knock on the door. I opened it, Abby stood out there, smiling.

"You're early," I pointed out.

"I said I would be here by 5 didn't I," she said, smirking. I let her in.

"So this is your house?" she asked, pulling off her windbreaker. I took it from her and hung it up.

"Yeah," I said, shooving my hands in my pockets. She smiled.

"It's nice," she said.

"Is Abby here?" my mom called to us.

"Yeah," I called back. My mom suddenly got eager, dusting her hands off on the apron she only wore for special occasions and came down. "Oh Abby its so good to see you!" she said. Her face changed when she saw Abby, analyzing her from head to toe. I assumed she was surprised by Abby's green hair and almost all black attire.

"Good to see you too," Abby said, smiling. My mom's face quickly melted back into its happy face.

"Dinner will be ready in an hour. And I'm so sorry, Jim will be home in about 20 minutes," my mom said.

"I'm not worried," Abby said, shrugging, "Do you need any help?"

"Of course not," my mom said, her smile growing, "You kids go have fun for a bit."

Abby nodded. I lead her down up ther stairs to my room. "That door better stay open William," my mom called from down the stairs. I rolled my eyes, leaving the door open.

"Nice room," Abby said, sitting down on my freshly made bed.

"Thanks," I said, "Sorry, no super heroes or anything. Just my heroes." I pointed to the posters.

"I guess it will have to due," Abby said, smirking.

"Thanks for coming," I said,looking down.

"Hey, it's no big deal. Thanks for inviting me," Abby said, smiling, "And my parents are just glad I've been out of the house for more than just comics." I chuckled a response. Then she looked at the comics, which were still on my desk. "Have you read them?" She asked, pointing to them.

"Uh, yeah," I lied badly.

Abby shook her head, "You haven't have you?"

I chuckle, "Nope." Abby laughed. "I'm sorry," I said, "Its not really my forte."

"Oh no one really expected you'd read them. Now Harry just owes me 20 bucks," Abby admitted.

"What bet did I just fulfill?" I asked, deciding not to pursue the matter of me being the bud of a bet, as she was one herself. As I thought this, I couldn't help but feel a pinprick of guilt.

"My friend Harry said you'd pretend you read them for the remainder of our relationship, and I said you'd admit it within three weeks, and Kevin and Sophie said you'd actually read them," Abby filled in. I smiled. I couldn't help thinking about how I didn't know a single person she talked about.

"Uh, well, glad to be of service," I said.

"They can't wait to finally hang out with you by the way," Abby said, "Not saying it will happen."

"I haven't ever hung out with them?" I asked, pretending to be in disbelief.

"Well, you sort of hung out with Kevin. You pantsed him on the playground in 4th grade," Abby said. Now I remembered him. Science geek, Kevin Wilsher. I had teased him back in elementary school for it. I sort of felt bad.

"Right, Kevin," I said, "He knows we were just kidding around right?"

"He doesn't hold a grudge if that's what you're asking," Abby said, her voice mildly bitter. I nodded, reassured by the fact. I found myself wondering if one of my friends or I had ever teased her back then. Before I could ask, I was saved by a knock on my open door.

"Dinner's ready," my mom said. I nodded.

We sat down at the table, Abby taking the seat commonly left empty across from me. "It smell delicious," she complimented my mother, who beamed at the idea of someone finally complimenting her cooking.

"Well thank you, Abby," she said, "I have to say, its so amazing to see you. I remember when you were just a little preschooler."

"Really?" Abby asked, obviously pretending to be enthralled with the idea. This fact slipped past my mother though.

"Oh yes. Of course, you and William were so close back then. Played together almost everyday," my mom said, smiling physically at the memory, "You were such an adorable little girl."

"That's what people tell me," Abby said, "Before the, um, hair." She gestured to her green locks. My mother smiled sheepishly. She decided to drop that subject.

"So Abby, how is school going for you?" my mother asked, shooting me a look that could kill. I mentally groaned at the mention of the inevitable topic.

Abby blushed, "Oh its good, I guess. I mean, what teenager likes school these days."

"I know I didn't back in my days of high school," my father put in. Abby actually seemed shocked by his input.

"I know Will is less than enthralled with the idea," my mother said. Abby squirmed a bit. "But as long as you keep your grades up, right."

"Of course," Abby said, "I mean, a four-point-oh is the only reason you wake up in the end right." Her voice was uncomfortable. For a moment I wondered if her grades were suffering at all similar to mine.

"Exactly," my mother said, "And with the upcoming SATs."

"I know," Abby said, "I've been studying for a month now."

"Have you?" my mother asked in surprise, "You see, Will refuses to study."

Abby shot me a look only the devil itself could have devised, "Really?" One of her blond eyebrows arched at me.

"Maybe you could help him," my father offered. I gritted my teeth to keep from shouting profanities at my father.

"I could do that," Abby said, "I mean, of course, if Will wants." I tried to come up with the most aggravated expression I could come up with.

"Of course he would love that. Wouldn't you Will?" my mother asked, nudging me.

"Sure," I said, mostly filled with sarcasm. My mother beamed.

"Well that's great," my mom said.

Later, I walked Abby out to the car. "So you're my new study buddy huh?" she chided.

"We aren't really doing that are we?" I muttered.

"I just told your mom we would," Abby smirked, "And I don't want to lie to your mom."

"Come on," I groaned.

"I'll go easy on you," she said, climbing in her car, "See you in the library during study hall?"

I groaned, "Fine." She smiled maliciously.

"See you then," she waved. Then she drove away.