Reason #8: Her Friends

Abby was gone on Friday, missing the day to go to the con she had talked about. "Road trip today," she said, her phone on speaker when I called her that night.

"Con tomorrow," a girl's voice squealed.

"Sorry," Abby said, "Say hi to Sophie."

"Uh, hi Sophie?" I said.

"Hey Will. We'll send you pictures of Abby in her cosplay tomorrow. Muy caliente," Sophie purred the last words. I could picture Abby blushing and shifting uncomfortably behind the wheel.

"Shut up, Sophie," Abby said, "I'm positive he doesn't want to see me in that."

"Right, cause cosplaying makes you a wierdo," Sophie said.

"I'll catch it next time," I said, "You guys have a good time."

"Sure thing," Abby said. Then the line went dead.

Abby came back to school on Monday with bright orange hair. It almost looked natural.

"How was the, uh, con?" I asked her in the hall before Study Hall. We walked into the library.

"Oh you know," Abby said, blushing, "Way fun. Met a bunch of great people. Spent about $100 on comic books and merch."

"Yeah I saw the shirt," I said, pointing to her new tee shirt, which read Coexist in different Marvel and DC hero symbols. I mentally slapped myself, realizing I recognized the symbols.

"You like it?" she asked. I shrugged, pretending to be indifferent. In reality, I thought it was kind of funny. Abby had spent one night talking to me on the phone about the Marvel DC rivalry.

"So did Sophie get any pictures of you in the cosplay?" I asked, teasingly.

Abby shoved me. Then seriously she said, "Duh. That's like the best part of the cons. Taking pictures with other people at the con in your cosplay."

"I guess I would have to be there to understand," I said, shrugging. Abby smirked devilishly.

"Oh," she said, "Can I cash in a favor?"

"Uh, do you have any?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I think that embarrassing night with your mom counts as one, yeah," Abby said, crossing her arms across her chest.

"Um, no, you wound up tutoring me, remember?" I asked.

"And that's another one," Abby pointed out, "Believe me, you are a terrible student."

"Yeah, yeah," I said, "Just don't tell my mom, will yah?"

Abby giggled, "Anyway, like all of my friends are dying to meet you. I was just wondering if you could eat lunch with me today, so they can know our relationship-ish thing is real."

"Our relationship-ish thing?" I teased. She punched me. I chuckled. "Fine," I said, "I guess and can spare one lunch for my relationship-ish thing." Abby pretended to be annoyed, but she laughed to herself.

That day I looked for Abby in the cafeteria. Where did the geeks sit in this school anyway.

A moment later, a lookin guy with a Captain America shirt stood up, waving an arm. I say Abby's red hair flicking so her face was no longer towards me, and I walked towards her. "Is there a seat here?" I asked.

A tiny girl, with a mousy appearance giggled. "Next to Abby," the girl said. I recognized the voice instantly.

"Sophie, right?" I asked, politely.

"Bingo," she said, "Will, right?"

"That's me," I said.

"And I'm Harry," the small boy said with a smile.