Reason #15: She'll Never Forgive You

The next month seemed to go by without actually passing. It was like I was stuck in the same moment. I tried to simply pass it like anything else, and I got my life back to the exact same place it had been before Abby. And as for Abby, she wouldn't talk to me. I tried. I remembered the first day after we broke up. I had approached her the first moment I saw her, in the hall before class. "Abby!"I shouted above the buzz of the halls. She ignored me. "Abby," I said, walking up to her.

"Hey, Soph, you think we would start towards class?" Abby asked as if I wasn't standing right next to her.

"Abby, I know where your first hour is, stop pretending I'm not here and talk to me," I said.

"Will," Abby said, "What can I do for you?" She even threw in a smile.

"Abby, can we please talk about what happened?" I pleaded.

"What's there to talk about Will?" Abby asked, "You're times up. Its that simple. Whatever I thought we had doesn't matter."

"It does though. It was real. For both of us," I said.

"Sounds like you found a quick way of getting over it," Abby said, "Maybe next time you want to try to get back with your girlfriend, you should try making your new date to prom quieter."

"You heard about that?" I asked, chewing my lip.

"Yeah," Abby said, "But don't worry about my feelings. I'm over you."

"You are?" I asked.

"Its pretty easy. Now all we have to do is go back to what we were. Strangers," Abby said, "Think you can do that?"

"No!" I said, "I can't pretend that I don't know you."

"You owe me this much," Abby said, her eyes sad.

I knew, in my heart she was right. So I sighed. "I'm so sorry, Abby," I whispered. But then her and Sophie walked away.

So that's how it finished I guess. I found myself talking sports, and girls, and everything I had been used to talking about only two months before, but now it felt different.

I told myself I was over her. I dated Cassidy. She was a really great girl. The greatest. I would sit with her at lunch, and it was everything I was used to. But I still found myself looking over at Abby, who was also back to normal by now. The word was she was going to prom. No one knew with whom or even if had a date. But I detached myself from it.

Before I even realized it, it was prom night. "Don't you look great, Will?" my mother said as I came up from my room, in a tux with a dark red tie on. Cassidy had gotten it for me, claiming it was the "Perfect color for my complexion". Whatever that meant.

"Dashing," my dad reviewed.

"Can I snap a quick picture of just you before we follow you to Cassidy's?" my mom asked.

"Come on, mom," I said, "Are you serious right now?"

"Oh come on, just a few," my mom chided.

"Honey, we can get pictures of him once we go get Cassidy. Now come on," my dad said. I gave a silent gesture of my thanks. He winked back at me.

When we appeared at Cassidy's house, we waited for a few minutes. I couldn't help looking around the house and comparing the situation to Abby's. Her house was large, well cleaned, and well decorated. Her parents both stood, her dad messing with an expensive camera while her mom cooed to mine about how sweet it was their babies were going to prom.

Bobby appeared, as Alison and Cassidy were getting ready together, for reasons I didn't understand. Bobby and I still hadn't spoken to each other since he had broken up with Abby for me.

"Oh my goodness," Cassidy said, coming down the stairs, "Will, you look incredible."

I smiled, then looked at Cassidy in awe. She was beautiful. Everything about her was like a dream. She was amazing.

I can honestly say pictures took forever. By the time Cassidy had all the pictures they wanted, and her parents, and my parents, and Alison's parents, and Bobby's parents, I honestly thought the restaurant would have given away our reservation.

Finally we went to prom. I had Cassidy Page on my arm, and everyone was saying how perfect everything was. I honestly could say I felt like I was getting over Abby.

Then I saw her.

I guess I didn't know what I expected. Had I expected her to just sit at home, give the two tickets to someone else. But there she was.

And she was beautiful.

Our whole relationship, I would have said Abby was pretty, but not beautiful. Like a girl who had the right stuff to be beautiful, but used all of it wrong. But tonight, she had figured it out.

Her hair was blonde, curled in perfect curls. Her contacts were in, showing off a face I felt I had never seen, other than dressed as Black Widow. Her body was slid into an elegant off white dress. I just stood there, staring at her. She stood with Sophie, who still looked like Sophie, making Abby even better, though I hate to say it.

"Will," Cassidy said, her voice irritated, "I thought I lost you there."

"Right," I said, looking to her, "Sorry."

Suddenly Cassidy didn't seem so beautiful.

That night I spent trying to get looks at Abby. She didn't have a date. She was just there with her friends. Cassidy kept pulling me back.

Finally, towards the end of the night, I walked up to her, while, Cassidy was fixing her makeup before the Prom King and Queen coronation. "Abby," I said.

"Hey," she said happily, "I haven't seen you all night."

"Yeah," I said. I felt stupid, fumbling over my words, "Um, how's it going."

"That's what you want to ask," Sophie asked from behind Abby.

"I'm good," Abby said, ignoring Sophie.

"You look beautiful," I said, gesturing to her dress.

"Good," she said, "I had to pay to figure out a con I'm not going to next year to pay for this."

I laughed.

"Abby I made a mistake," I said.

"Will," Cassidy called.

Abby gestured behind me, "Duty calls."

My shoulders slumped. "And the Prom King is..." the words seemed to echo, "William Trueman."

Somehow it didn't matter it wound up being me and Cassidy on the floor that night. I wanted nothing more than for it to be me and Abby.