Chapter 9: Bounty

Meera walked through the giant hallway of the jedi temple on Coruscant. The Gathering had been a disaster. Sure, the younglings had all made their lightsabers successfully, but one of them had died on Ilum. Serran had somehow been on Ilum while they were there. Why was he even there? He already had a lightsaber.

Then Meera thought more carefully about his lightsaber. What if something happened to his lightsaber? He could have lost it or broken it.

She turned into another hallway and then another. She had been summoned by the council. She figured it was because Serran attacked them and killed a youngling. With another turn, she came face to face with the doors leading into the room with all of the jedi council members. She took a deep breath and entered.

Inside the room sat the twelve jedi council members. Three of them were holoprojections of the actual member. Kresonri sat in one of the chairs. She was one of the life-term members on the council.

Meera stood in the middle of the bright and elegant room. "May I ask why I was summoned here today?" She asked politely.

"Meera Tendulkar," A Human jedi master started. He had long brown hair that was pin straight and wore a navy blue robe. "You and master Kresonri were attacked on Ilum along with five younglings, is that correct?" He asked.

"That is correct." Meera answered. She felt uneasy about the situation but set her feelings aside.

"This attack resulted in the death of a youngling. Who was this person that attacked?" The jedi master asked. She felt that he already knew the answer.

"According to master Kresonri, the attacker was Serran Lahora. He and I battled against each other not long ago after the council ordered me to go after him." Meera explained.

The master looked at the two masters beside him. They muttered something that Meera couldn't hear. She glanced at Kresonri who remained calm. "You are forbidden to go after Lahora since the two of you have a history. This also goes for master Kresonri." The jedi master looked at the togruta a few seats away from him. Kresonri nodded in agreement and knew that it was for the best.

Meera clenched her jaw slightly but knew that if she kept going after Serran then she too could fall to the darkside.

"We will put out a bounty for Lahora and notify the republic officers. He has proven himself to be a danger to the public." The jedi master said.

Meera sighed. "I understand." She said. She felt betrayed. The council didn't trust her to capture or kill Serran due to their history of being friends. It was infuriating but she remained calm and composed. She understood their decision and agreed with it but something deep down in her was furious.

~

People walked through the streets of the lower levels of Coruscant. The area was dark and humid as it rained above and the only things illuminating the streets were brightly lit neon signs, holograms of fighters in Crassitt's Arena, and wanted posters.

An orange twi'lek and a chiss walked up to the wall of wanted posters. Many people's faces were projected on the blue screens. The chiss looked closely at the projections. "Hm... Caston Sahil wanted for debt. Zarfa Soltani wanted murder. Ryupio Bargros is wanted for kidnap. Serran Lahora wanted for..." He stared at the wanted holo. "Hey, Annan, take a look at this." He said.

The twi'lek read the holo. "Wanted for the murder of two jedi and a civilian, eh?" She responded. The chiss stepped back from the holo.

"As well as an attempted murder of a jedi." The chiss said with a smile.

"What's the reward money, Gale?" Annan asked. Her eyes looked unimpressed, but in truth, she was full of curiosity and excitement.

"100,000 credits." He said, smirking.