What?

Marinette and Damien were sat at the meeting table, Damien at the head and Marinette was almost half way down the side.

They sat in complete silence. Neither wanted to say anything to scare the other off.

"Marinette -"
"Damien-"

They locked eyes for a moment then both looked away just as quickly.

"You've avoided me..." Marinette said softly, staring at her hands.

"Not on purpose..." He couldn't help but occasionally glance her way.

"Lier." Marinette mumbled.

"Sorry." Damien stared at the table in front of him.

Marinette glanced towards him.

It was like a really slow tennis match.

One would say threw words, the other would respond with one word.

They took in turns looking away and looking at the other.

There was so much to say but not enough ways to put any of it into words.

Marinette sat, constantly fidgeting. She was convinced he hated her. He wouldn't even look her way. She must have messed up bad.

Damien was gripping the edge of the table so tight, it was a wonder it hadn't broken. He knew she wanted to bolt, what he wanted to know was why she was staying anyway. He knew she loved someone, but the chances of it being him felt like they were decreasing rapidly.

He could feel his lips twitching as he tried to remain stone-faced.

It was so deathly quiet.

Marinette hated silence.

Damien hated silence between them. It broke the only promise he had ever made confidently.

..~~..

"Promise me something?" Martha asked softly as the two 10-year olds stared up at the stars from the roof of Wayne enterprise on one of the only clear nights Gotham has ever had.

"Anything." Damien answered in a heartbeat.

"You won't let us fall apart. We'll never come to silence. Promise me that we'll always be so close that nothing could ever feel wrong."

"I promise. Angel, I could never be anything but safe with you."

"Good." Martha grinned, turning to face him.

"Martha... You're my best friend... I never want to let you go." Damien said quietly, holding her hand.

She looked over at him, she was going to make a joke but the look on his face showed he really meant it, "Good thing you won't have to."

Martha was taken away the next day.

..~~..

"I'm sorry... I should have given you space, I'll go." Marinette said, getting up to leave, shoving her hands in her pockets, hoping to conceal how much they were shaking.

"No! Please... Don't go..."

"O-okay" Marinette sat back down, a few chairs closer to him.

They was another stretch of silence.

"Spar with me." Marinette said out of nowhere.