Part 1

Louise Blues

Jolting upright, I'm startled awake with "Locked out of heaven" by Bruno Mars blasting from my phone's speaker. I release a resignated sigh before answering. "Oh, great, she's alive." Viktor quips. "Goodmorning." I ensure that I infuse as much annoyance as I can in that one word.

"Morning, Los Angeles " my high school nemesis responds. I can almost imagine his sarcastic eyes and his head of mussed, crow black hair. "Big day today huh?" he rhetorically asks. I fight the urge to stifle myself with a pillow.

"Yeah, Sinclaire, it's the big day of my first week (of many) detentions." I sourly mutter. "What was that? I don't think I heard you properly." I can hear the grin in his voice. It's at this point my alarm blares, signalling that it's five am. I immediately hang up the call, as I do everyday, and rush to get ready. By the time I've finished my morning routine, it's exactly five thirty-two and I'm dreading to face the inevitable. Swinging open my front door, I inhale the cool breeze before absorbing my surroundings.

It's like a beautiful watercolor painting. Soft, mellow yet vibrant colors create the most detailed, intricately woven masterpiece. The sky is a mosaic of soft oranges and pretty pinks, swirling with it's usual light blue to create a calming atmosphere. I can do this. Two months of detention with the person I've hated since middle school? No biggie.

I jog to the bus stop, thoughts plaguing my worn mind. "Hey, Louise" Ato greets behind me. I spin around and flash him a distracted smile with a nod in return. Our usual group of the students who take the bus are excitedly chattering.

"Did you hear about Louise?" someone whispers. "Shhh she'll here you" another person seethes. They lower their voices but I can still hear them. "What are you both talking about?" someone else asks.

"Louise Blues got caught making out with Viktor Wintyr in the principal's office AFTER they got called in for the fight they had the day before" person 2 explains. I clench my jaw, fighting the urge to lash out at the girl. Instead, I count to myself quietly, reigning in the anger.

"Oh hell nawh." person 3 remarks, his shock noticeable. "Bro, that tension has been building for years. It probably became too much for Blues' body to handle" person 1 laughs. This time hurt trickles in with a sadness even I couldn't understand. They thought I did it? I would never in a million years kiss Viktor.

The bus arrives and, without sparing a glance behind me, I enter. Viktor is already there, smirking. His eyes are liquid fire, looking orange in the slanted sunlight. His hair is tousled and his lips are redder than usual. He's definitely been doing unmentionable things. Viktor pats the empty space beside him with a wicked glint in his eyes. I look around desperately, hoping upon hope there's another empty seat. All are vacant.

I feel eyes on me as I saunter towards him, the sinking feeling of defeat making my shoulders sag. "Well hello, my enemy. Great for you to drop by!" He exclaims, everything about him overeager. A lump forms in my throat. "Viktor you win today, okay? I can't with you and your cruel taunts... I-" I'm horrified when my voice cracks. "I just can't handle it. You win. Whoop-de-doo."

Immediately turning away, a wave of regret crashes upon me. This is it. This is where I die of embarrassment. Louise Blues, dead at 18 years from mortification and extreme regret. Then, he does the most unexpected thing. Viktor Wintyr wraps an arm around my shoulders, levelling his eyes with mine. The softness in his gaze throw me off guard. "I understand, LA" he whispers. Then, as if it didn't happen, his hand drops back down to his lap and he stares out of the window.

My mind is reeling, confusion battling anger. I jump when Ato taps my shoulder and slides in beside me. Now, I'm jammed between two adolescents, their bodies generating more heat than my own thermostat could. I glance at my best friend then do a double take. His eyes are downcast and slightly red, his shoulders are slouched, much like mine and a frown adorns his usually upbeat face. "Atonize? You okay?" I ask with concern.

I watch in wonder as he morphs, plastering a smile onto his face. I can almost believe he's happy. Until I see the flicker of unease in his gaze. As much as I want to know what's wrong and comfort him, I don't want to push him. He'll open up in his own time.

The bus rolls to a stop. I move to grasp Ato's hand, maybe ask if he's okay again, maybe walk into school with him. My half-formed plans are stopped when Viktor grabs my arm and leads me out of the vehicle. I hear someone, maybe Aether, the class clown, snicker.

Today is a wonderful day for the first detention of my life. The clouds have become overcast, the sun barely peeking from behind the grey. The wind is a cool relief from the usual heat before summer vacation. Perfect for boredom and despair.