The Cactus

The party is raging. Drunk, underage people suggestively dance atop tables. Some couples were in shady corners kissing sloppily while others were flirting and laughing all-too-loudly. Pounding music shook the entire building and flashing lights blinded me. A boy stumbles over, his eyes bloodshot and a stupid, drunk smile on his face. "Ophelia?" he slurs, "Wanna hoo-" his face turns a sickly green color before he doubles over and spews his guts across the floor. I step away in horror.

Viktor obviously feels similarly when he hooks his arm around mine and tows me away. We navigate through the crowd of grinding bodies, coming to a halt infront of a girl. Her hair is blonde, it's ends dyed red and blue much like Harley Quinn. Her clothes are insane; a dress, jeans and a set of mismatched socks, paired with blue converse. She was currently swaying her hips to the music, dancing with nobody but laughing as if someone had told a hilarious joke.

"Hey, Harley" Viktor shouts over the blaring music. The girl opens her eyes, her mouth twisting upwards at the sight of Viktor. She gestures towards a sleek white door and we both nod. Viktor and I enter before her. My eyes almost bug out of my head when I take in the room. It's a complete mess. A stylish one. It's flashy and full of band posters. Pink and blue paint splatters cover the walls and a massive bed occupied most of the space. Clothes were haphazardly strewn around the floor. Though it was chaotic, there was also a strange sense of order within it.I spin around to observe the other side of the room.

I'm taken aback at the orderly, well-kept state. The walls are painted a dark shade of green and there's a poster collage hanging over the bed. The bedsheets are black and tidy. Fairy lights decorate the walls. A warm glow seems to emanate from this part of the room. It's dreamy. At that moment I notice the oak side table. Atop it is a cactus. And not any cactus. My jaw hangs open. "Vintage!" I cry out. Viktor's eyes largen and he grabs my arm before I could dive for the cactus.

"No! I need Vintage!" I shout, trying to wrench away from him. Viktor laughs as I struggle against him. Desperately turning around to face him, I decide I need a distraction. "Look a bird!" I yell and point vaguely behind him. Viktor purses his lips, not falling for it. I gaze into his mirthful eyes, wondering what could divert his attention. An insane idea pops into my mind and before I could second guess it, I act. My lips press against his and his eyes widen. I've thrown him off his game. Suppressing the urge to fist pump, I smile against his mouth.

Before I could yank towards my beloved cactus, he does something unexpected. He kisses me back. All my thoughts about Vintage fall away. I'm utterly consumed by the soft pressure of his lips against mine. It isn't like last time. Instead of the rushed frenzy like before, there's a slow, thoughtful passion. My cheeks heat and I'm floating. My eyes close and I let myself fall into the sensation. A thought strikes me. I'm kissing my enemy. I'm kissing Viktor Wintyr and I like it.