The Party

Louise Blues

That evening with Viktor had been more fun than I had expected. I felt lighter than I did before. In fact, I felt like I was on top of the world. I had finally told someone about my secret. It was shocking how kind he had been. Gentle and empathetic and maybe just a little bit crazy. I couldn't have mistaken the savage glint of anger in his eyes when I'd told him about the gas.On a side note, I hadn't told him everything. I didn't admit that I was beginning to forget little things. Like my favourite colour, my mother's name, my favourite food. I just kept reading my diary. It was like my own personal bible. A salvation. Without it, I didn't know who I was.

I didn't plan to cry on his fancy clothes. Especially because he looked... Fairly decent... In it. The smooth gray coat, black and white-striped inner shirt and rose red tie. It suited him. When I'd looked into his eyes I only felt comfort. Years ago, I had noticed that his eye color evolved based on the lighting. That evening, the sun had made his eyes look a beautiful earthy brown.

In all cases, Viktor wasn't so bad. Even if he was my enemy, he had come when I needed him. Maybe he was a bit better than I thought he was. Despite this recent revelation, I wouldn't go getting googly eyes over him. He was still the obnoxious boy who made fun of my flower obsession. I should open a flower shop just to spite him. I widen my eyes, whipping out my diary and jotting down 'flowers'. It was another thing I was passionate about.

One thing more annoying than Viktor? Memory loss. I felt like Dory from Finding Nemo. "Hey, I'm Louise, can you help me?" I snort at how pathetic it sounded. My eyes scan the space around me for the fourth time. It was dusty and old but somewhat modern. In all cases, it was clean for a basement.

Not that I was complaining. I rather live on the streets than spend a night in a house with my father. Creaking sounds from the basement door when my cousin peeks her head inside. She was a woman already, old enough to be my aunt. "Hey Hun, your phone's ringing" she sweetly informs me. "Oh, thanks Angelica" I smile.

When I was 4, Angelica was already 20. She was like the mother I never had. She was the person I would always go to if I were in trouble. Angelica was the one who realized what my father had been doing to me. She was one of the first people to notice the red marks on my back. Yet she couldn't do a thing. My father was my legal guardian, the police wouldn't listen and she was too broke to raise another child. So, she did the only thing she could. She became my therapist. The only reprieve from the constant pain.

Well, it was, until I met Viktor. Then, I focused all my anger and pain soley on him. He became my new coping mechanism. I secretly loved him for it. I loved him for stepping up to my challenges when nobody else did. He didn't know it but he had saved me from the young death I was sure I would commit.

I shake my head, banishing my thoughts before bounding up the stairs. "GOBLIN!" Angelica's daughter, Taryn, shrieked. I rolled my eyes at her and she erupted in a fit of giggles. Taryn was only a few years younger than me but she was much more athletic. I was currently wearing her clothes since I refused to go back to the same house as my dad. They were a bit too small but plausible.

My phone lay on a white oak side table, charging with a beaten up cord. I quickly unplugged it, viewing my notifications. There were three miscalls from "Sinclaire" aka Viktor. I made a split-second decision, clicking the calling icon on my phone and waiting for it to ring. After only three rings, he picked up.

"FINALLY. I thought you were dead, LA." he blew out a breath. I could barely hear him, pounding rock music blaring from my phone's speakers. I distinctly hear a door being shut and the music dies down, only a faint beat. "Yeah, sorry about the noise, my sister is throwing me a birthday party" he explains, "Even though she knows I hate parties!" he complains.

My eyes widen, "Oh no, I forgot! I'm so sorry but for what it's worth, Happy Birthday, Sinclaire" I exclaim. My phone beeps twice and I glance down at it in alarm. A video call request flashes across the screen. I immediately tap the green answer icon, hoping I wouldn't regret it.

Viktor's grinning face appears, his hair disheveled and a mischievous glint in his eyes. "You know what could make up for your mistake of forgetting my birthday? Joining this party." he purses his lips together and tries to smoulder. I can't help it, I laugh. "There's that Bluesie laugh I've been looking for!" he claps his hands. I can almost feel the excitement rolling off him in waves.

"Viktor, I dont think a party is a good idea ..." I try to shoot him down. Yet Viktor wouldn't hear it, "If you come, I promise to stay sober. I'll protect you, nothing will happen" he urges. I gaze at his pixelated eyes, still unsure. "Pleaseee, c'mon LA, loosen up! Maybe hit back a couple shots. You gotta let go from time to time. This is the perfect opportunity!" he pleads.

I'm close to agreeing when something occurs to me, "What if something DOES happen? Would it really be a good idea for me to drink in a party? Serious stuff is going on, I dunno if I should..."Viktor glares at me through the screen but I knew it was a playful one. "Look. Everything is gonna be serious and that's gonna be a lot of weight on our shoulders. How about this one night? One night to be free and not care and we can go back to being grumpy and grave in the morning?" he reasons. I open my mouth to refuse but he does the one thing that I could never say no to. He gives me the puppy dog eyes.

"It's my birthday, Louisette, pretty please come with a cherry on top?"

I cave, his remorseful expression too much for my heart to bear, "Fine, fine, but only this one time!"

A full-grin lights up his face and he looks like an excited pup. "You won't regret this! I'll pick you up, meet at the park" he shoots me another smile. "Alright. Oh, and my name isn't Louisette!" I say but he had already hung up.

I roll my eyes in exasperation before whirling towards Taryn. Time to try my hand at the puppy-dog eyes. " Hello my favourite child in the world" I give her my best smile. The young teenager sees straight through it, snorting in amusement. "One, I'm the only kid you know. Two, I'm not even a child anymore. Three, what do you want, Louise?" she demands.

My smile falters and the girl smiles victoriously, knowing she had guessed correctly. "Okay, I know this sounds pathetic but... I need something nice to wear. I'm going to a party, can you.. let me borrow something?" I wince at my hopeful tone. Taryn's eyes flicker alight with joy, "Yes! Of course!! Do you want makeup too? Heels? Oh my gosh, my corset dress would look amazing on you!"

I stare at her in confusion, "It's a party... I normally just wear a jeans and a shirt... " Taryn's jaw dropped and I frown at her. "Girl, that's just sad. C'mon, I'll show you how actual people dress for parties!" she flips her hair and struts away. I scamper to follow her, my mood brightening. Well, atleast I'll go to the party with style. I bite back a grin. This was going to be fun.