Ato

Atonize Krint

When I was 6 years old I fell into a river. I wasn't as traumatized as I should've been. I'd grabbed a jagged rock that poked from the water, holding on for dear life. My skin had been cut open, blood mixing with the raging water. It was then I'd realized how insignificant my life was compared to the world. Me, a blond-haired little boy with curly hair and a big smile compared to this entire solar system.

That one moment, that little stumble, changed my entire mindset. I'd started elementary school with a single goal. Save the world. If I had to sacrifice myself I would. Not all heros wore capes. I wasn't delusional, though. I knew a young person like me could never save the planet. But I sure as hell could try. I'd met Louise and immediately clicked with her. We became best friends quickly. Her nickname for me was "Ato" but I didn't mind when she called me "Flower boy" too.I stumble into someone, jolting from my reminiscences. I'm face to face with Denmark Andres. His blue eyes meet mine, a flash of surprise in his features. We both glance at the forebodingly large gray building to my right at the same time. "New convention?" I mutter. There was no love lost between this dipshit and I. "Yeah.." he responds. I nod before quickly departing. My thumb absentmindedly grazes against the scar that ran up the side of my arm.

Sometimes I wondered whether this was the best I could do. Was this really what I wanted? In the end the answer was always yes. Some choices in life were difficult but necessary. The wind caresses my cheeks and I tilt my head to the sky, closing my eyes. It was so easy to imagine myself as the boy j was four years ago. I remember sitting against a tree, it's bark smooth and it's leaves softly caressing the top of my head.

My hair still had the honey-yellow of my childhood, my mind full of wonder as I turned the crisp pages of the book I read. How much I'd hungered for knowledge. I'd always had my nose in books while the other kids were at malls and laughing with their girlfriends. I didn't mind. I contentedly lived through Shakespeare. "The world has music for those who listen" I whispered my favourite of his quotes. Louise had skipped along, glancing at my book and nestling down beside me.

"Give me a riddle" she'd challenged. I'd cocked my head to the side and stared at the fluffy clouds drifting along in the blue sky. It was such a prominent blue, light and carefree yet hypnotic in an unexplainable way. Sky blue was underrated.

"They can't be seen at night but when they cry you see their tears. When they're angry, a light illuminates them from within. When they're happy, you can't see them in the dark but they're visible in the light. What are they?"

Louise thought about it for a serene moment, "Criminals?" she'd guessed.I laughed and playfully swatted at her arm. "No, silly." I exclaimed. Louise pouted and folded her arms. "Well..." she prompted, green eyes bright, "What is it?" I gazed at her for a few moments, taking in the way she was always up for a challenge. We were ying and yang. I was the calm and she was the chaos. Even at thirteen I'd realized that. "Not telling" I taunted her.

Louise, though sometimes brash, decided to take a mature route. "Fine, then I'm not telling my new crush" she announced. That peaked my interest. "Who?" I demanded, closing the leatherback and giving her my full attention. Louise blushed, her pale skin tinting the softest shade of pink. "He's this boy in class. He's very pretty and I like how he talks. It's as if he knows how much I love a challenge. He's like a riddle." she sighs. I bite back a smile; everyone knew how much Louise Blues adored a good riddle.

"Did you just call a boy pretty? You must really like him..." I teased. Louise isn't hindered, "Exactly! He isn't handsome or, like, sweaty and muscular. He's pretty. Like a faerie prince. The prettiest boy ever" I clutched my heart in mock despair. Louise grins at me, "Don't worry, you'll always be the smartest, kindest, cutest boy I know" My heart swelled and I puffed up my chest, "Damn right I am" We both collapsed into giggles, the sun shining brightly down at us and the clouds laughing with us in absolute mirth.

Now, this "pretty" boy was her archenemy. My phone rings and I immediately answer it without glancing at the caller id. "Hey bitch." Viktor Wintyr's voice sounds from the other side of the phone. I raise my eyebrows, "Really? You're still on that?" Viktor huffs a laugh, "I'm never gonna let you live that down. I still can't believe you called me a bitch!" I roll my eyes. It wasn't my fault I had been trying to defend Louise before realizing she was perfectly capable of defending herself.

"Okay, I need your help. I just lost Louise. We were at a party together and she went outside for some air and I lost her. Any chance you know where she is?" Viktor hedges. I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. Louise had gone to a party with Viktor? Were they not enemies? "Why do you want to know...?" I speak cautiously. Viktor mutters something before uncomfortably rushing out, "I dunno man, she's really important to me right now. It's my birthday, I'm worried for her, shes been acting different lately and I just wanna help"

If possible, I'm even more surprise. This was interesting. Viktor's worried for Louise? I could've sworn they hated each other's guts. "I don't know where she is." I admit. "Well thanks for the help, buddy" Viktor sarcastically answers. "Wait" I speak before he hangs up, "How do you have my number?" Viktor only laughs in response before hanging up.

Well, that was unexpected. I quickly scroll through my search bar before landing on Louise's number. I've saved her as "Cookie lord" after our running joke about her stealing my entire cookie jar last term. The call is declined. Louise never declines my calls. I feel a shiver of panic and fear crawl up my spine. "Don't overreact" I berate myself, "She could just be busy" Yet I couldn't ignore the creeping feeling that something was terribly wrong.