Enemies

Viktor Wintyr

I'm afraid. More so than I've ever been in the entirety of my sordid life. Louise was scared and her eyes were dull. It was terrifying to see her like this. Her new, lifeless personality had passed the threshold for over a month. A month of painfully watching who she had become. It was almost as if she were a mindless zombie. I thought it was a phase. I believed she would eventually go back to making jeering comments and banter with me.

I was horrified when the weeks dragged on without a sound from her. Where had my LA gone? Her spirit, laugh, even her mocking eye rolls. I don't know when I started to care about her. I think I always had. I'd just convinced myself over the years that all I felt was hostility towards her.

Once upon a time we were friends. I vividly remember when I first met her. The girl with purple glasses. She was shy, withdrawn and intelligent. I'd been fascinated by her. We were captivated by one another, even when we were only in middle school. We prodded each other, testing our limits and laughing at ourselves. At one point, we had nicknames for each other. I was the dark-haired nomad, a noble wanderer who could battle any demon. She was a princess of lilacs, with everlasting beauty but a spirit that could never be broken. Together, we were a formidable opponent. We could destroy the world.

Now, I would describe myself as a coward, too chicken-shit to confront my not-enemy frenemy. Louise was a warrior, unfazed by anything the world threw at her. Until now. The truth was, we were suffering. Yet no matter how much of a coward I was, I would try to help her. She was my LA and she couldn't just leave.

I pace back and forth while I wait for her to arrive. It was already ten past six. If she stood me up I was going to kick a tree. "C'mon Lou, I know you won't leave me hanging" I mutter to myself. Then, speak of the devil, she appears. She looks tired, more so than when she bumped into me earlier. I was willing to put our differences aside if it would help bring her back to life.When she spots me, her jaw almost drops. I bite back a grin, feigning mild disinterest. I love making her squirm. "You're... Overdressed... For a walk in the park, I mean" she snorts. That alone makes me want to burst into laughter. By some magic, I manage to keep my indifferent mask on.

"I believe you're underdressed" I point out, as though it's an obvious fact. She glances down at herself in surprise. She's wearing a too-tight tanktop with a pair of leggings that were a few inches shy of her ankles. Her brown hair was tied into a messy bun and her freckles seemed duller than usual. "These aren't my clothes" she exhaled then quickly changed the topic, "But it's more fitted for a park than your full suit. You're even wearing some elf-y shoes!" she exclaims.

I glare at her for the jab at my precious shoes. "Unlike some people, I have class" I adjust my blood red tie for good measure. She opens her mouth, excitement flaring within me as I await her retort. Louise closes her mouth, to my disappointment, then links her arm through mine. We set a slow pace, following the leafy trail and taking in the nature around us.The setting sun lit up her hair, transforming the brown to a dazzling red. She seems ethereal in this golden light. Her dazzling green eyes find mine and she quickly glances away. I can tell she's debating something. Before I could ask, she begins to speak.

"I was walking down an alleyway at night. The sun had set quickly and I didn't realize how dark it had gotten. It was an idiotic move on my part. One moment I was finding my way home and the next I'm being kidnapped. Someone grabbed me and I pass out, waking up strapped to a chair with gas being pumped into my lungs." she whispers.

Rage explodes through me, fighting against my self-control. Whichever bastard had laid a hand on her would regret it dearly. I chuckle darkly at the thought. Louise frowns at me, clearly having heard my laugh. I shoot her an apologetic look before she continues.

"I fell asleep and suddenly I wake up in bed, thinking it was a dream." she bites her lip, stalling. "But it wasn't, Viktor, it wasn't even close to a dream..."

My heart skips a beat as she recollects herself. This wasn't my Louise. She never cried. The depths of my soul ached for her, feeling her pain and wishing I could take it all away. "I wrote everything down. Everything I could remember. From the color of the lights to the tightness of the straps. Thank God I did it because a week after I forgot." My brow furrows in confusion. This wasn't something people forgot. It was likely something they would remember for their entire lives.

Louise seems to have caught on to my train of thought as she continues, "Being kidnapped isn't exactly something forgettable. When I read my diary I was confused but then the memory clicked to place."

My heart began to pound loudly. I sensed something bad was going to follow.

"It happened again. And again. And again. They force the gas into me. I forget the memory all together after a week. Eventually the span of time became shorter and shorter till I forget in a day." tears shone in her eyes. " But I write it all down. I write till my hands are sore and I can barely stomach it. But I have to. I need to remember." a sob tears from her throat.

I feel my heart breaking for her. I want to hurt whoever did this. I wanted to break every bone in their body and peel back their flesh. Louise unexpectedly crashes into my arms, sobbing against my waistcoat. I awkwardly wrap my arms around her, rubbing my hands in soothing circles on her back. "You and your damn tie" she muttered. I laugh and her head shoots up in shock. "Viktor Wintyr just laughed!" she exclaims.

I quickly recover from the whiplash of the fast change of her mood. " Well, you really did hug me then complain about my tie so I'd say it merits a laugh" She shakes her head with an amused breath, "Really, why are you wearing a suit?"

Embarrassment heats my cheeks and I glance away, "I may have forgotten to wash my clothes and now I only have a suit to wear..." I confess. Louise bursts into laughter, covering her mouth and doubling over. A smile tugs at the corner of my lips. The easy-going friendship we had long ago had slotted back into place. I was much more lucky than I anticipated but I wasn't complaining. I would've taken insults over her silence.

It felt like I could breathe again as we continued down the serene path, the last rays of sunlight dipping beneath the sea. Night descended, a sense of peace settling over us as we just silently enjoyed each other's presence. God, I've missed this girl so much. Princess Lilac, I'm glad you're back.