- seven

— ACT ONE OF THREE —
THE BEGINNING OF THE END

chapter seven | savior

"FRUIT." Carol blurted quickly, not wanting to be eliminated from the game.

"Strawberry." Sadie replied.

Rick's turn was next, "Orange."

Then Carl, "Peel."

And lastly, Sophia, "Stick!" She grinned.

They went back and forth in the game that Sadie made up when her and Daryl were kids. The goal was to never repeat a word, and you also had to say a word that was similar to the person before you. It was quite an easy concept that took up the rest of the drive to the CDC.

It came down to just Rick and Sadie.

"Good."

"Bad."

"Villain."

"Sadie." Rick laughed as the word left his mouth.

Sadie's mouth fell open as they pulled up to the building, "We'll finish this later, jerk."

"I think that means I win."

"Oh shut up, you fu–Freaking loser." She spat.

The car erupted in laughter at her defeat. The five of them piled out of the car, Rick and Sadie leading them with their weapons at their side. The rest of the group joined them in a tight circle.

"It smells awful." Daryl muttered in disgust.

Sadie perched her head up to her brother, "It smells like flowers compared to you." She snorted.

Daryl held his crossbow up, awaiting any danger as him and Sadie guarded the back part of the group.

"There's nobody here." T-Dog huffed as Shane and Rick attempted to open the shutters.

"Then why are these shutters down?" Rick replied matter-of-factly.

"Walkers!" Daryl shouted, causing him, Sadie, and T-Dog to take the back. The three of them stood there with their weapons high, ready to taken whatever action necessary.

"You led us into a graveyard!" Daryl shouted as he shot an arrow between a Walker's eyes.

Sadie sighed, "He made a call."

"Well, it was the wrong damn call!" Daryl spat, getting in Sadie's face.

"Shut up! Just shut the hell up!" Shane yelled. He then turned to Rick, an obvious tension between the two, "There's no blame. You hear me? No blame."

"We can't be this close to the city after dark." Lori spoke, her expression laced with fear as she held Carl close.

Shane began breathing heavy as he said, "Fort Benning– Still an option."

"We're not going to Fort fucking Benning!" Sadie shouted loudly.

"She's right. We've got no food, no fuel. . . Not to mention it's a hundred miles in the opposite direction." Andrea sided with Sadie, giving her a curt nod.