- four

— ACT ONE OF THREE —
THE BEGINNING OF THE END

chapter four | killer

RICK couldn't help but watch as Sadie held herself high with confidence. Even now as she muttered incoherent words – words he were almost positive were curse words, Sadie was confident in her stature.

He was curious. Curious about her, her life, how her and Daryl seemingly had completely different outcomes in life.

Given this, he knew he owed it to Lori. They were given a second chance. He thought back to the day he was shot. She had just served him divorce papers. Papers he refused to sign, causing his dramatic exit to shake their entire home as he slammed the front door.

Maybe this was fate's way of saying they needed to keep trying. For themselves, and for their son.

Rick toyed with the ring on his finger, wondering how his wife felt about it all. He was trying to be the good guy, like he had always done.

In school, he rarely acted out. He kept up with his grades. He went right into the police academy, wanting to give back to the community.

Rick even gave his wife a second chance when he caught Lori cheating on him. Again.

He was simply a good guy.

But even good guys turned sour.

"Are you gonna keep starin' at her ass?" He heard T-Dog whisper from beside him. Rick immediately looked up, ready to defend himself.

Before he could say anything, Glenn mumbled in reply, "I'm not staring at her ass."

"Quit staring at my ass, Glenn." Sadie suddenly shouted to the men behind her. Daryl chuckled as he walked beside his sister.

"You always gotta make things awkward and tense?" Daryl asked her.

She shrugged, "It keeps things interesting."

"I swear she's got hearing like a hawk." Glenn scoffed. "And for the record, I wasn't staring."

"Yeah, more like drooling." T-Dog laughed loudly. Sadie could only imagine how red Glenn's face was.

"It's a nice ass, I know." Sadie turned to looked at him, seeing the man's tinted cheeks. "Oh, Glenn, I'm just fucking with you. Calm down."

"Shut up, Sadie. You're embarrassing the poor kid." Daryl chimed in, teasing Glenn further.

"You guys are bullies." Glenn retorted, rolling his eyes. "All of you. Even the new guy."

The four of them laughed, enjoying this moment. But it could only be enjoyed for so long. Loud screams came from their campground, about a mile ahead of them.

The five of them pulled themselves together and went into a sprint as they raced to the quarry. The screaming kept coming with every step they took.

Upon arrival, they saw Geek's everywhere. Sadie immediately drew her set of knives, throwing them right in between the eyes of every Walker she saw.

"We stay together, you hear me?" Daryl commanded in a stern tone as he grabbed her arm. She nodded, throwing her last knife before drawing her gun out of her belt.