- eighteen

— ACT TWO OF THREE —
SHE LOVES ME, SHE LOVES ME NOT

chapter eighteen | feelings

RICK brought Sadie her dinner that night. He tried to be careful about it, not wanting to let the others know what he was up to. So while they cleaned up, Rick went up to where Sadie was staying for the night.

The door was cracked ajar. He heard Daryl speaking to her.

"You've gotta be more careful. Where's your inhaler anyway?" He asked, a protective tone written in his voice.

Sadie sighed, "I think it's in my tent. But I don't need it–"

"Like hell," He scoffed, "That was one of the worst attacks you've had since this thing started."

"It's your fault!" She argued back, "You spooked the horse and made me climb up that damn hill. Twice! No wonder I couldn't catch my breath."

He heard Daryl scoff and watched him shake his head, "Get some sleep. You look like shit."

"Go take a shower. You smell like shit." She muttered back.

Daryl opened the door, seeing Rick standing there with a plate of chicken and green beans.

"Make sure she eats." Was all Daryl said before walking off and into his own room.

Rick sighed softly and knocked on the door. He heard a soft, come in, and opened the door.

"You clean up nice." He noted, seeing that she now wore a clean pair of clothes.

Sadie didn't reply, but instead asked about the plate of food. "Oh, uh, Carol and Lori– They made dinner for Hershel and his family. I thought I'd bring you a plate."

"Thanks." She nodded, taking the plate from him. Almost immediately she tore into the chicken, biting into each savory piece. Sadie looked up and noticed Rick watching her.

"Can I help you?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

Rick shook his head, "I'll be goin' now. Hope you feel better."

As Rick reached for the handle and opened the door, Sadie sighed heavily, "Wait."

"Yeah?" He asked, taking in all of her features.

"You could stay. . . If you wanted too." Rick playfully smirked at her. "Get your mind out of the gutter, sheriff."

"I'm just messin' with ya," He chuckled, "I'm gonna go say 'night to Carl and I'll come back in."

Sadie nodded, shooing her hand at him to send him on his way. In reality, Sadie was scared. A feeling she had become all too familiar with.

Since her and Shane had gone to the high school, he had made empty threats in an attempt for her to stay quiet. Sadie brushed them off. Shane's threats meant nothing to her. Until it got darker outside and all she could think about were Otis' screams. His cry for help as Shane shot him down in cold blood.

She called herself crazy for reminiscing on one of the most awful times in her life.

She recalled a lot of hideous times in her life. Living everyday with her father was one of them. Sadie was sure Rick had seen the scars that littered her body, she was fortunate that he was polite enough not to mention them.