- fifteen

— ACT TWO OF THREE —
SHE LOVES ME, SHE LOVES ME NOT

chapter fifteen | cold-blooded killer

RUMMAGING through the trailer, Sadie filled her backpack with any and every medical supplies that would fit. Shane kept asking questions as to what exactly he needed to grab. She was surprised at Otis' patience.

Sadie knew she wouldn't be as patient with the man, given that there was really no such word as patience in her vocabulary.

"Alright," Sadie announced, "Now let's get the hell out of here."

The three of them approached the entrance to the trailer quietly, but upon opening it, they were met with a bigger herd than what was on the highway.

"Save your bullets! Come on, let's go! Stay with me!" Shane shouted, leading Otis and Sadie into the high school.

They stood back as Shane broke the glass, and they stepped through. Sadie noticed the security gate and immediately pulled it over the doors.

The three of them ran through the hallways of the school, not taking any stop for a break. Sadie could hear Otis' heavy breathing. Or maybe it was her own.

They approached another set of doors, causing them to smile on victory. Until they heard the low moans from around the corner.

"That damn gate didn't stay closed for very long, did it?" Sadie commented as she opened another set of doors.

It was the gym.

Shane climbed up the bleachers, then Otis. The two of them grabbed Sadie's arms just in time before she became Walker bait.

"God, why did I let you talk me into this?" She mumbled. "This was supposed to be an easy run, ain't that what you said?!" She roared at Otis as she grabbed his collar.

"Back off, Sadie. He didn't know it'd be overrun." Shane spat, pulling her off.

She rolled her eyes, "Like it ain't common fucking sense."

Otis stood there with a sad expression as Shane looked around for a way out, alive.

"Those windows, what's on the other side?" He asked, shining his flashlight on the opposite side of the room.

"About a 20-foot drop, then the athletic field." Otis replied.

Shane sighed, then said, "We just got to get up there. We gotta get 'em open and get out."

"Not me. Maybe you two." Otis replied with a snort.

Sadie eyes rolled to the back of her head, a habit she found herself doing more often than not.

"Hey, don't be like that." She told him.

"You think I can fit through one of them windows? You're sorely mistaken. Look, we lay down some fire to get a head start. You two stay here, and I'll distract them. That gives you enough time to get up the bleachers and out a window."

Sadie loaded her clip before asking, "And you? Where do you go?"

"Locker room. It's got windows more my size. I'll get through one, double back, and we'll meet at the truck." Otis confirmed his plan, handing a bag to Shane and Sadie.